Lazy wash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On going saga. There are many thread about this here and some will say do it some will tell you no. I have never done it but I would have to agree with others that it probably isn't a good idea to put it through a full cycle, just the spin cycle.

I suggest very strongly that you don't put your wetsuit in the washer nor the dryer. If that's the only way you can wash your suit, you could fill the washer and put it on the delicate cycle for just a few turns. Don't let it go into the spin cycle. Also, don't use any detergant on your suit. We recommend a product made by Amway called LOC. If your suit smells, put some Listerine in the final rinse water. This is great for your boots as well. I always carry a small bottle of Febreeze in my dive bag.

Hope this helps with your question.

Carolyn

DavyJones:
Is it ok or bad to put a neoprene wetsuit in the Washing machine? How about the dryer? :06:

For me it goes like this. Cheap stuff in the washer. Expensvie stuff gets hand washed. I have never put a wetsuit in the dryer, but I dry my booties with a shoe and boot drier.

Ok , I tried it in a top loader wactching it closely and fond that all i had was a big wash bucket. It seems that Neoprene floats <<DUHHHH>> and as the oscilator oscilates, the suit does not move at all as the oscillator fins cannot grab on to the floating suit. A front loader might work but Im done experimenting :D Thank you Liquid Fit for the Listerine tip :biggrin2:

Personally, there are only two things I do to my wetsuit to get it clean(er).....

1) I'll rinse it - inside and out, usually in the shower, and most often after getting out of a swimming pool.

2) I'll wash it - find a large bin or tub, add very warm water (not scalding, but maybe a little warmer than you'd bathe in), add a capful or two of the antiseptic concentrate Dettol, which unlike LOC doesn't leave suds to be rinsed out. It had quite the odor (not necessarily unpleasant) which rinses completely out. Then I soak my neporene in this solution overnight. Next morning, drain the tub of water, add fresh water (doesn't matter what temp) and soak once more - (usually just saok it during the daytime). By evening, drain tub once more, press (not wring) excess water out of the neoprene, hang to dry overnight. By morning, fresh dry (or mostly, depending on where you hang it) wetsuit, ready to wear!

Easy, your only time commitment is however long it takes you to fill your tub with water, then change out the water. So maybe about 10 minutes total. It does most of the work for you while you're off doing more interesting things.

I first heard the use of Dettol recommended by spearfishermen for cleaning their wetsuits - it seems that fish can't smell the stuff!

PS For my boots I often use a capful in each. It's so effective that my old boots can actually come out with a faint odor of their original "fresh neoprene" scent!

FreeFloat:
Personally, there are only two things I do to my wetsuit to get it clean(er).....

1) I'll rinse it - inside and out, usually in the shower, and most often after getting out of a swimming pool.

2) I'll wash it - find a large bin or tub, add very warm water (not scalding, but maybe a little warmer than you'd bathe in), add a capful or two of the antiseptic concentrate Dettol, which unlike LOC doesn't leave suds to be rinsed out. It had quite the odor (not necessarily unpleasant) which rinses completely out. Then I soak my neporene in this solution overnight. Next morning, drain the tub of water, add fresh water (doesn't matter what temp) and soak once more - (usually just saok it during the daytime). By evening, drain tub once more, press (not wring) excess water out of the neoprene, hang to dry overnight. By morning, fresh dry (or mostly, depending on where you hang it) wetsuit, ready to wear!

Easy, your only time commitment is however long it takes you to fill your tub with water, then change out the water. So maybe about 10 minutes total. It does most of the work for you while you're off doing more interesting things.

I first heard the use of Dettol recommended by spearfishermen for cleaning their wetsuits - it seems that fish can't smell the stuff!

PS For my boots I often use a capful in each. It's so effective that my old boots can actually come out with a faint odor of their original "fresh neoprene" scent!

Where do you find the Dettol? Who makes it?

Someone explain to me why you shouldn't put a wet suit through the spin cycle. Don't tell me that it is because it compresses the neo. What do you think happens as you decend in the water?

Davy Jones has a good point, the suit will float. Even on a front loader it is going to float but might get flipped over a few times in the process.

Personally a 32 gallon trash can, tap water with a bit of Listerine when needed, lay it out on a folding laundry rack to dry.

What makes a wetsuit get wet is the fabric cover over the actual waterproof neoprene. If you put this through the washer, there's a good chance that this will wrinkle up, and it won't lay back down.

As for the dryer, heat is never good on neoprene. Imagine a glob of molten neo slogging through your dryer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom