Lazy wash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133:
Someone explain to me why you shouldn't put a wet suit through the spin cycle. Don't tell me that it is because it compresses the neo. What do you think happens as you decend in the water?

Davy Jones has a good point, the suit will float. Even on a front loader it is going to float but might get flipped over a few times in the process.

Personally a 32 gallon trash can, tap water with a bit of Listerine when needed, lay it out on a folding laundry rack to dry.
If I really need to dry my wetsuit relatively quick, I put it through the spin cycle. Really. Nothing happens to it other than water getting spun out of it like a centrifuge. The surface of the suit is not damaged, there is some compression of the suit, but nothing the suit can't handle (as you mention, the suit gets more compressed at depth). The suit is not bone dry afterwards, but a quick hang and maybe a fan on it and it's done.

What is this obsession everyone has in cleaning gear with Listerine? That makes no sense whatsoever. What do you expect Listerine to do for you?

Hi Johnythan,
The Listerine is not used to clean but to disinfect. Most odor that you get from your suit is caused by bacteria.....hence the antibacterial action works quite well to refresh your suit. In most cases, I simply rinse my suit well and let it air dry.

Hope this answers your question,

Carolyn

There are much better ways to disinfect than Listerine of all things. It was designed for a mouth and is going to leave all sorts of residues that require thorough washing.

It has reallyl worked well for me. Never ever had a problem with residue. I also rinse my suit really really well. Also like to spray my suit with Febreeze. Give it a try, you may just like it.

Good luck to you!!!

Carolyn

FreeFloat:
1) I'll rinse it - inside and out, usually in the shower, and most often after getting out of a swimming pool.

2) I'll wash it - add a capful or two of the antiseptic concentrate Dettol, which unlike LOC doesn't leave suds to be rinsed out.
I first heard the use of Dettol recommended by spearfishermen for cleaning their wetsuits - it seems that fish can't smell the stuff!

PS For my boots I often use a capful in each. It's so effective that my old boots can actually come out with a faint odor of their original "fresh neoprene" scent!

Dettol is a UK (Canada?) product you can buy it from http://www.britshoppe.com/dettol.html
I have not seen it in the USA.

jonnythan:
There are much better ways to disinfect than Listerine of all things. It was designed for a mouth and is going to leave all sorts of residues that require thorough washing.

Not trying to start an arguement but think about what you said. Anything that you use on a suit is going to leave some residue. You won't be able to see or feel it but it is there someplace. I have been using Listerine, 1 capful for 32 gl, with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom