LDS Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockrug:
I know this issue has been beat to death, but I wanted to throw my two cents in over the internet vs LDS debate.

My girlfriend and I were looking to buy our first set of gear. Of course, we checked on line and found some pretty good deals. In the end, though, we ended up buying from the LDS where we got certified.

When we were looking for gear, Bob (the LDS owner) literally spent hours with us going over the pros/cons of everything in the store, getting the correct fit, etc. He took the time to figure out our needs and then fitting what we wanted within our budget. Once we had settled on the gear we wanted, we got to try everything out in the pool. There is a slight whisle problem with my reg, and they are taking care of it ASAP, in time for us to go diving the following weekend. They went over every single function of our computers...I could go on and on.

So in the end, could I have gotten a better price on line? Probably. But, there is no way I would have gotten the same level of service.

Brian

This is how the LDS separates itself from the internet stores, and one reason why I have never bought a piece of diving equipment online.

A consulting fee would not be reasonable. The LDS owner was just using good sales technique and good customer service. In doing so, what he has done is made a lifetime customer, who will also tell their friends who they should go to when they want to learn to dive. As someone who has owned a small business, I can tell you that its hard to beat word of mouth to get serious customers.

See. don't blame the customers. There are many LDSs like Kraken described. That kind way of business really kills themselves in the long run. Because the customers will find out the market price later and become anti-LDS. LOL~~~

The Kraken:
Just saw an Oceanic Atom 1.0 at a local dive shop priced $30 over MSRP.
I'm not even going to mention how they outfitted some of their open water students in Henderson Hyperstretch wet suits that were waaaaaaay to big for them and charged them a premium price.

Did he sell you what you needed or did he sell you what his shop sold? Many of the LDS' will spend a significant amount of time during the OW class trying to sell you gear. Even gear you don't need. I don't blame them, they are in business to make money.

In the same vein, they can't blame me if I choose to pay less somewhere else, even if that somewhere else is online.

My LDS has Black Diamond BC's for $695.
Leisure Pro has them for $375.

$320 markup. That is an 85% difference.

On the other hand, the LDS has HP 119 tanks for $345.
Leisure Pro $335.

Sometimes they are competetive, sometimes not.

DaFireMedic:
This is how the LDS separates itself from the internet stores, and one reason why I have never bought a piece of diving equipment online.

A consulting fee would not be reasonable. The LDS owner was just using good sales technique and good customer service. In doing so, what he has done is made a lifetime customer, who will also tell their friends who they should go to when they want to learn to dive. As someone who has owned a small business, I can tell you that its hard to beat word of mouth to get serious customers.

I agree. Additionally, if the owner spends a considerable amount of time with me, and I only buy only a portion of what I need to buy, from him -- explain the price differences on remaining items etc. thereby being honest and giving him the chance to match--I would hope he would be as accommodating and not make me feel like I'm obligated to buy because he took time with me. That will keep me coming to that shop forever, and more inclined to not have price be the deciding factor in the future.

sharpenu:
On the other hand, the LDS has HP 119 tanks for $345.
Leisure Pro $335.

Sometimes they are competetive, sometimes not.

i think most shops, or least the ones around me, will tell you that they make next to no money on tanks, some sure enough, but not a lot..i remember one of the guys in the store telling me that one time..

mossym:
i think most shops, or least the ones around me, will tell you that they make next to no money on tanks, some sure enough, but not a lot..i remember one of the guys in the store telling me that one time..

Were you in the market for a tank when he told you that? I've had lots of car dealers use a similar phrase when negotiating the price of a car...

Unless you're very good friends with them or have some other kind of thing (classes, other gear) they're making a killing off of, I don't think a seller will make a sale that doesn't make him money...

If you still have and dive the same gear in 5 years the LDS did a good job. May I ask what your LDS sold you and for what type of diving you will be using it for?

Wanna buy some AL 80's a LDS took a long time selling me? JJ, kinda.

Seriously, if you are happy, as stated before, you and the LDS did right. If I could find a LDS I really liked, I would spend more money, if it could supply me with what I wanted. Until then, I will meet people here, learn about gear here, and go diving with people from here too. :wink:

There are 2 kinds of shops. Those that customer orientedand those that are money oriented.

Yes there are going to be mark ups at the store versus the internet. For those of you who have no idea what it takes to run a business consider the following.

Overhead: Rent, utilities (phone, internet, heating and cooling, alarm monitoring, etc),insurance, payroll, taxes, maintenance costs (compressor upkeep, vehicle maintenance to get gear to pool classes etc.), tools to service your gear - some which are specialized thus cost quite a bit money, someone has to pay for that stock sitting on the shelf, classes to service your gear etc.

The list goes on and I am sure that the above is not complete. I do not own or work for any LDS. I do have my own business and know what the costs of running a business entail. So when you make your next purchase from your LDS just remember where your money is going!

And what happens when that new reg you purchased on line has a problem the day before your long planned $3000 dive trip? Guess it's off to the LDS to get a rental that is less than what you bought on line. Where the LDS would just swap it out and send it back to the factory.

Yes there are great deals on the internet and that is what may fit your budget. I prefer top notch service and don't mind paying for it.

Just my thoughts and opinion!

Ed L.

Like you said, if that shop is a customer oriented one, nobody mind going to LDS. And, there is a bottom line that each diver can afford. Some people say it is $60 differece, other people say it is $200 difference. There is no magic rule. Many internet shops are also LDS in their areas. But, I am sure you are talking about the shop where you live. So, you buy everything from the local shop no matter what cost it is? If you spend $200 more and find out that you can't get top notch service on time, what are you going to do? There is no simple answer!

Back
Top Bottom