LDS Owner/Instructor Incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce:
I agree, drop the class and demand a refund. Call PADI even if you get a refund.

BTW: The #1 rule is "Don't inhale water."

I disagree bruce :D
Rule # 1 is : Always keep the amount of descents & Ascents equal, else you might be having problems

For this issue, being a LDS Owner myself, i admit that this attitude is really wrong, many guys have different techniques and so forth, but every course is different. It's true that some commercial divers, or tek divers or DIR or whatever else have a way of doing,.

But i also have the feeling that they are wise enough to accept the fact that the basic course stays basic, and that the training provided is a first level, therefore they won't start hitting all their "science" into the head of their partner after the first dive...

If The attitude of the shop is wrong according to the PADI Standards you may use the Quality assurance process to try and make a move on them, from a store point of view or an instructor point of view it certainly might have them twitch.

As per the payment etc, talk to the business owner with your wife being present, in a calm office space or so, and try to see what he says. If he sticks to his "super knowledge", let him know about your disapointment and how you feel that the training is not up to the standards etc that first you expected, secondly that you know directly from padi source... see how he reacts to that. Don't hesitate to let him know about your own personal feelings about this issue, it's not because you're a qualified diver that you need to take **** from him... and as someone said, he might have felt "diminished" by you... in this case he just has to master it as any pro would do it, and as you might have done in front of other much more qualified professionals in your dive life beforehand (no?).

If he doesn't budge an inch, well... QA with PADI, call the main office, explain, but get names, dates, and witnesses of the discussions if you can, so that they can't confront you ... In my view the DC should never let this happen, because it's such bad publicity, and really... it gives the whole diving industry a bad name... :(

Generally, I dont mind if boyfriends. spouses and SOs sit in on my courses when I teach, but I dont like having the SO participate in the teaching. They are welcome to ask questions like the students and I am happy to answer them, but I dont really like "add on" teachers. I teach in a particular way, and oftentimes, I find overhelpful spouses to be more of a hindrance than help.

Occasionally, I've had private and polite chats with them - in a few rare cases, I've had to ask them to leave (most notably a few weeks ago, when this boyfriend kept interrupting me in order to explain decompression theory to the class).

That being said, what I find absolutely stunning is that he would joke about Rule #1. I do make a lot of jokes during the class (humor is a great way to teach, I find), but that Rule #1 is, and should be, sancrosanct.... it is the one thing a diver can do that *will* seriously screw them up. There is no room for levity in this area, IMO.

To me, that, more than asking you to not attend the session, is the most shocking thing. Not to mention that bad business sense. You do *not* run a business by being petty and taking things so personally.

Vandit

Vkalia : I totally agree with you, I accept a certified diver to come along for the theory sessions if he acts as a student because we all have our ways, and a process. If i am in need of a help, i ask someone of my staff or someone i have clearly briefed on my way of doing things.

I will not take a spouse or (what is SO ?) underwater if already certified, because the added pressure on the person taking the course is very high. I tend to notice that the spouse pressure is high above group pressure, and can be very distressing for the person taking the class. It's a little bit like training my own wife... no way will i do that :) i'll pass along to someone i trust, will not go in the water or if so will do it in a way that she doesn't know (snorkelling or so above and behind... but won't tell her or so on.).

Several have posted "Call PADI QA". Why? What training standard do you guys see as being violated?

It does sound like there is some sort of personality clash going on; but whether it is an unreasonable instructor/LDS owner, a meddling spouse, or a bit of both is difficult to tell from what little we know.

I was glad to have taken my OW without my spouse who had been certified a couple of months prior. I was at the LDS yesterday and watched 2 couples there practicing and in both instances the male was "directing" the female. Can you imagine how awkward the wife feels in this incident?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom