LDS recommendations for certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20:
Ack, OK, now I'm getting confused. I went to Fith Dimension's website and I see their certs are SSI and GUE. I've only heard of PADI and NAUI.

Thanks for the help!
Jason

There are many, many dive certification agencies. You can't go wrong with any you'll find in the Seattle area, and they will all be recognized wherever you're likely to go diving.
Don't make it harder than it needs to be :wink:

Another shop in Kirkland, very close to Redmond is Under Water Sports-Kirkland. They are the sponsors of the Moss Bay Dive CLub (www.mossbaydiveclub.org) and a pretty good shop that has several location sint he sound.

I have been to Silent World several times and on rebreather charters with them. They are a little more expensive, but they do teach OW in drysuit (OK increase the learning curve a bit, is soooo much more comfortable). Overall I am pleased with them.

As to diving here, I came out here in February and was not too thrilled about diving here and then I went diving and it is amazing.

I have dove all over the world in the last 30+ years and the varitey of sea life here is on a par with any place you care to name. As winter approcahs the visability is getting better and the diving is GREAT.

The other benifit here is that there are some GREAT people to dive with and dive "buddies" are available almost any day through this and other forums. This is a very active and knowledgable dive community and if I have to leave here for Europe next year I am going to greatly miss diving here.

Mike...

Diver Mike:
Another shop in Kirkland, very close to Redmond is Under Water Sports-Kirkland. They are the sponsors of the Moss Bay Dive CLub (www.mossbaydiveclub.org) and a pretty good shop that has several locations in the sound.

I don't mean this to be taken as a slam ... but I find UWS to be very hit-or-miss. If you know to ask for a particular instructor, they have some talent on staff. If you don't know, and just go in and sign up for BOW, you can find yourself in a class with 20 other students and effectively being taught by an AI who may or may not have the minimal number of dives to qualify for the cert and very little real-world experience. That's why ... unless I can direct people to a specific instructor ... I don't usually refer people there.

On the positive side, they're a great store to purchase (recreational) dive gear ... because they're the 800-lb gorilla in the local scuba industry, they can often give you great deals on equipment.

Also, if you're interested in diving locally, resist the urge to sign up for one of their 3-day OW classes ... those are marginally acceptable for people who only ever want to follow a DM around in Belize or something, but not at all appropriate for the sort of diving we do here in the PNW. Pay the extra money and take a class that provides adequate class and pool time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, (NWGratefulDiver) reading around on this board you're name keeps popping up (mostly good too!) Not sure if your an instructor at a dive shop, or just a private instructor on the side, but if you don't want to post publicly could you IM me with info on getting certified through you? (if that's something you do)

I'm not really after 1 on 1 training, a group is fine with me, but I don't mind paying extra to make sure I get a quality education.

Right now I have the websites for 7 different dive shops open, and I feel like I'm throwing a dart picking one! I'm sure they are all good, but am currently leaning towards Silent World. 4 pool dives, 7 ow at 3 different locations!, 4-6 students, dry suites. Next would be Bubbles Below because of both your recomendation and it's the closest to home. :wink:

I think I read somewhere here that winter is a good/best time to dive PS? If that's true, why so? What's the different down there during the different season's anyways?? Much difference in temperature? (Probably could do more searching, but hey, gives us something to talk about)

Thanks!
Jason

PM sent ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jason,

If you have not already, pick up a copy of NW Dive News. Dive shops usually have a monthly copy and the ferries always have a copy in the "propaganda" rack on the passenger deck. In all locations it should be free.

The monthly publication is dedicated to diving and trys to reflect what is of interest to divers in the PNW.

The cooler seasons usually provide better visibility underwater as the micro stuff isn't in bloom. I dive in a drysuit so I have not noticed much temperature difference underwater though I am sure there is. I do know that above water I am not moving as frantically as wet suit divers after a dive during the winter though.

Can't give you much opinion on what agency to pick as my limited certs and specialities came from Virginia, Hawaii, and Washington and include YMCA, NAUI, PADI, and SSI and they all seemed to give me what I needed to know. You can search thru the site though and find a whole bunch of discussion about the pro's and con's of each agency and it's training. (maybe not too much on YMCA though). Take a peek in either the Basic Scuba or New to Scuba forums.

The temperature in the Sound usually varies from 48 - 52 degrees throughout the year. Last Sunday, my dive computers were showing 50 degrees at Alki, which is typical.

As a general rule, Jason, the visibility is significantly improved in the winter months out here. The plankton are not as abundant, which lets more light filter down to the depths, and the particulate matter reduction improves horizontal visibility. It's also more pleasant to be standing around in a drysuit when the sun's not beating down on you in 80 degree weather, but that's just personal preference.

As you start to dive out here, you'll notice differences in the life during the year as the seasons change. For instance, the cabezon and ling cod are beginning to nest, and they'll be aggressive through about February or March if you disturb their nest. Octopus have specific times in the year when they're more likely to be nesting and guarding egg sacs. Summer's great for stubby squid sightings, jellyfish, and six-gill sharks. This autumn was outstanding for spiny dogfish (another shark type...)

It's always a pleasure to see what the different seasons bring underwater... but the winter is definitely my favorite in the Sound...

Oh - I'll add another recommendation for Silent World to your LDS search. They may not be the cheapest, but I've had many occassions where they've come through for me in a pinch that were far beyond the customer service that I'd normally expect...

Case in point - I'd booked a San Juan dive trip for a Saturday last spring through them, and, as I was setting up my gear the night before, I discovered my rebreather mouthpiece wouldn't hold pressure. It was nine or ten at night the day before the trip. I actually got ahold of him in the evening and they arranged to have a new mouthpiece for my rebreather with the shop's divemaster on the boat the next morning. I plugged it into my breathing loop, and away I went for three great San Juan dives. If they hadn't been able to come through for me, I'd have been out of luck for that trip. That, to me, meant a lot...

Whatever way you go for instructors - shop or personal - do make sure whatever school you pick has you start out in a drysuit. You'll be a LOT happier, a LOT more comfortable, and if you have a better experience in your OW training, you're a LOT more likely to keep on diving. From the people I've met, those who dove dry out here tend to keep diving a lot more actively than those who started wet...

OK, I did it! (Well I mean I signed up for the class)
Finally convince the wife on the whole SCUBA idea, and signed up for Silent World's OW course which starts..... tomorrow. (no reason to delay at this point huh?)

If all goes well, I'll do my final dive and get my OW cert on Dec 26th, so this is my official Xmas present this year. Actually the Kaui trip was suppose to be THE present for our family, but I guess I was just extra good this year. :wink:

On a bit of a side note, I'm suppose to buy (as opposed to renting) my "Personal Snorkeling System" to get the discounted class rate. I asked and they mainly carry Scuba Pro and Aqua Lung products. Any general recomendations on what to look for or avoid from these two mfg's? I'll need to buy a mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves, regulator mouth piece, mesh bag, SSI log book, and defog. Not that I think they'll steer me wrong at the shop, but it's always nice to get unbiased opinions. I know Scuba Pro is suppose to be top rate, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

An another side note, I'm a total tech geek. I'm both excited to do some more diving and learn more about the physics of diving. My 6 dives up to now have been a blast, but it always bothered me a bit that I was totally clueless to what was really going on. All I knew was to not stop breathing, and don't bolt for the surface. Actually it's kinda scary that they let you dive at all with such limited knowledge?

Anyways I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and I'll hopefully be looking for some dive buddies next month willing to continue showing me the ropes.

Cheers!
Jason

JasonH20:
On a bit of a side note, I'm suppose to buy (as opposed to renting) my "Personal Snorkeling System" to get the discounted class rate. I asked and they mainly carry Scuba Pro and Aqua Lung products. Any general recomendations on what to look for or avoid from these two mfg's? I'll need to buy a mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves, regulator mouth piece, mesh bag, SSI log book, and defog. Not that I think they'll steer me wrong at the shop, but it's always nice to get unbiased opinions. I know Scuba Pro is suppose to be top rate, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

For a mask you want pretty much whatever fits your face. There are various religious differences over what other stuff you should look for in a mask. I'm in the camp that likes a low-volume mask because it is easier to clear underwater. You can almost bet that you'll probably not like the first mask you buy, so I wouldn't go top-shelf right away.

If all you're going to be using a snorkel for is scuba diving, I'd suggest getting the cheapest one you can find. If you swim on your back you shouldn't be using it much. I should mention again that to-snorkel-or-not-to-snorkel is another of the fairly religious debates. I use a long hose regulator setup and a snorkel will actually impede my ability to donate air in the case of an OOA, so I don't wear a snorkel. I own a scubapro flip snorkel that i could put in a pocket, and might take it with me on a trip to the tropics so that I could sit at the surface at look at all the purty fishies without using air, but around here there's not a lot of point.

For fins I'll recommend scubapro XL jetfins. Again, this is a point of religion and I'm in the non-splitfins-either-jets-or-turtles crowd. Its difficult to recommend a fin to someone just starting out because you don't know what kind of diver they're going to grow up to be.

You seem to imply that if you don't get the "discount" class rate that you might be able to rent first. I think it might not be a bad idea to ditch the "discount" class and rent. You could easily sink $100-$300+ on gear which you wind up replacing. I've got a pair of Tusa splitfins, a mask, boots and gloves that I bought which are just sitting in my attic right now. The boots did come in handy when I had a class with pool sessions, but the rest of it was kind of a waste.

Congrats! Don't get freaked at what you see at the bottom of the pool when you do those sessions. [I did and have not been back to a public pool since :) ]

I have always used Scubapro masks. Only replaced them after a few years each when the silicon got stiffer and because I liked another color better. I am happy with my current mask and its a year and a half old. Of course the main thing is make sure the gear fits.

Only other recommendation is to inspect and ask questions about gloves. Henderson put out "cool" looking gloves that I bought with gold colored spots on the fingers and palms for added grip. The "cool" factor dissappeared the first time I tried to wipe water off my face on the surface. Them spots felt like sandpaper. Check the seams on the gloves too. Exposed threaded seams always seem to come un-ravelled for me. Last, if you are going to dive with a dry suit make sure that the length of the gloves do not conflict with the sleeve of the suit. My cool hendersons were long and ended up bunching up at the wrist and led to increase water flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom