Lead shot weights in carry on luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have carried soft lead weights the last two years in SE Asia, mainly through Thailand the the Philippines. They show up on every x-ray screen and they are a real pain to carry around, but I was always let through.

You can't always rent or buy weights, especially if you are using them outside the context of a dive shop, as when snorkeling or freediving. In any case, I always bring a few one and two pound shot weights when I travel to most dive destinations, especially remote locations, or places where there is almost no commercial infrastructure, like Dominica. I have never had a problem with security checks, except that they do look at the weights (and other gear, like flashlights) very closely.

I can't even imagine carrying lead. I dive all over in very remote places in the pacific. I have yet to see a place that can fill a tank that does not have weights to rent. As for freediving.....I would tie a rock around my waist before I would carry lead!! LOL!!

elliottchow:
have any of you ever carried lead shot in a carry on and have you had any problems with airline security for doing so? I'm going to asia for an extended dive trip and the parts i plan to dive won't have many dive shops etc. i thought i'd ask the experts first to see if it would be a good idea...i'm sure it looks like packaged shrapnel in an airport xray machine. thanks for the help.

No matter where I have been diving I have always seen weights that were available. I don't dive with any weight so it has never been an issue for me. You asked about carry on baggage. For sure if you decide to bring some to Cozumel, MX it won't be a problem. When you leave be prepared to stow it in your checked baggage as there are several large signs throughout the airport that weights of any kind are not allowed in carry on luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom