Lead weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just went to a plumbers yard today, they were happy to give me about 40-50 kilos of scrap lead (sheeting ends/old pipes etc) that they'd have to pay to get rid of.

GoJu said: "The weights I am using now are made from the lead taken out of vehicle batteries." Seems like I remember, but I can't quote the source (perhaps another thread on this forum), that vehicle batteries' lead alloy includes cadmium. Cadmium is supposed to be toxic. Just a thought with no strong facts to back it up.

One of my neighbors is a "nuclear pharmacist." He dispenses the radioactive medicines used at a nearby teaching hospital. He routinly receives items in lead containers. After the meds are dispensed, the lead is kept in storage for a certain time, and then sent to recycling. He was happy to pass about 40# along to me.

I haven't melted any yet, but I don't need to turn the lights on in the garage where I have the surplus lead stored! :D

KYDan

KYDan:
I haven't melted any yet, but I don't need to turn the lights on in the garage where I have the surplus lead stored! :D

Why don't you take them through airport security and let us know what happens? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom