Learning PADI dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry, I did not mean the science behind the purpose of it was arbitrary, I just mean the chart manages to be a big abstraction; the structure of it is arbitrary. Not intuitive at all.

Hmm, I say the same thing about my I-Mac computer. You'd probably breeze through it like a teenager.

Snow Dog:
It is embarrassing to admit, but I would see it demonstrated, have it seem to make sense, and then not be able to hang onto all of the steps in my mind to do it again 20 minutes later. I had some success last night and will work on it again tonight.

Exactly what I said about I-Mac.

Damn kids.:doctor:

OK, let's do a quick comparison between tables and diodes! Bring your plasticized tables and your I-Mac to 60' and let's run a few practice problems. In the early years I carried my tables in my BC pocket. Of course, back then, I could actually read them underwater.

Now that I can't read them anyway, I have a BP/W with no suitable pockets. Things have changed but I'm not certain they have improved.

Richard

Last edited:
Duplicate post - Sorry

Richard

Last edited:
You could say that again!

I apologize for the duplicate post but it's not my fault. SB was having one of those 'database moments'.

Richard

I don't think Snow Dog is particularly interested in or debating the value of the theory behind the tables, he just wants to know how to use them. Those are two completely different issues. A good way to learn how to use them is to have guided practice. You just have to work out problems with someone who both knows how to use the tables and is good at explaining the steps you take, and will leave out the theoretical discussions.

You can also try writing down the steps you take, sometimes this helps to remember what you have to do and in what order.

mattboy, I agree with your post. Practice, practice, practice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom