LED Primary lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a greenforce tristar led lighthead with ta flexi II cannister after breaking several bulbs in my diverite mr11 HID. I have found little difference in the brightness and the led is slightly more diffused at the outer edges of the beam.

Thanks Metalsub and alo100 - I found it surprising you mentioned the heat generated by the new generation of LED's ... I had just assumed that LED's generated no heat at all... very interesting.

I had a backup light that used 1 Luxeon Star LED and was very happy with the light output... unfortunately it kept flooding and finally died :( oh well gotta find a better housing I guess (it was a tektite)

Thanks again for all the info - that was exactly what I was wanting to learn.

Aloha, Tim

I didn't know either, thanks to all the experts here (including you, of course) and some other readings.. by the time I was doing calculation last time and tried to see if a 6 chip package of the Ostar or 12..... it's already done:

http://www.ebv.com/en/products/highlights/ostar_lighting.html?PHPSESSID=9bfe46f800ebb37be5f8f3b6d4a41886

Now the 6 chips per package is 420 lumens, 700mA, but it's already a 15W device!!!!!
They used optics at package level to increase the brightness...

This is the claim:
" ...the six-chip version with lens is brighter than a 20 W low-voltage halogen lamp...."

and they made it a hexagon shows that the x3, x7 configs can appear again...
and this is only one of the manufacturer...

I read the Solus 500 & 1000 today from Diver magazine, the intensity is compared to 50W halogen. 12 LED's in the picture The output is about 1/2. Full power 2.5 hrs then half power a bit more than double of that. Price, yike!!! Reaching the HID light price.
Efficient LED is in demand.

Finally, correction, instead of 7 LED's last time, it should be 6, the middle one doesn't count....

wedivebc:
I have been using a greenforce tristar led lighthead with ta flexi II cannister after breaking several bulbs in my diverite mr11 HID. I have found little difference in the brightness and the led is slightly more diffused at the outer edges of the beam.

They also have a tristar 15 which is a 3x5w LED head - 15w total, obviously... Been stlaking that little puppy for alittle while now, may have to bite the bullet soon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom