Legend LX Supreme...is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Legend LX Supreme. Is it worth the money?

Just got back from Bonaire and really liked the way it performed. Only 12 dives, but it was smoooooth on every dive. Is it worth it? That depends on you, not the price.

Jet

kent_1848:
Any opinions on the Legend LX Supreme. Is it worth the money?
Hell NO you want a SCUBA Pro MK 25/ S600

SHREK:
Hell NO you want a SCUBA Pro MK 25/ S600
Um.. care to elaborate? You seem pretty excited about that particular regulator.

I love my Titan LX Supreme. Love it. And those who I've lent it to have been pleased with it as well. I'd say for the performance it's a good value.

I too wonder why Shrek is so firmly against it? I have not used the regulator that he recommends so I wonder what could possibly be so much better about it?

I know you're kind of fishing for opinions here, but I would step out on a limb and say that noone can really answer that question for you. In order to get really good advice, you would have to elaborate on specific dive conditions you intend to use the reg on, what exactly it is you're looking for in regulator, and what has led you to consider this one. Plus, $500 or whatever this reg costs really means different things to different people.

Even with my limited experience, one thing I know for sure is that there's a lot of hype in regulator sales. Most people who buy high performance regs don't "need" them in the sense that they are not diving under conditions that a simpler, lower performance but still well made reg would not suffice, or even perform significantly differently.

Of course, people do get attached to a particular level of regulator; after all, we are breathing through the thing, and consequently there's a pretty strong feeling of reliance and emotion involved. Think the regulator manufacturers don't know this?

Here's a good way to find out how well a regulator works. Find someone who has it already. Go diving with him/her. At depth (deeper is better--please don't be an idiot--do this under proper precautions and conditions), take a breath from your regulator. Then, take a few breaths from the other regulator. Do you like the way the other one breathes? If you don't, make sure to find out when it was last serviced before ruling it out. If you do, it is likely to be worth considering if is easy to service, and parts are readily available.

Next, every parrot will tell you to go ScubaPro only, and not to consider anything else. There is nothing wrong with ScubaPro regulators. However, they are not the only good brand of high performance regulator having parts available around the world anymore. Much of the justification for owning them exclusively is no longer a fact due to changes in the world availability of parts, and the fact that there are regulators on the market that currently have better performance than ScubaPro's best models.

I have not checked on the specs in over a year, because that was when I was looking into buying new regulators for myself. So, it is possible that, since that time, there are now even better performing regulators on the markt than the Legend LX Supremes. However, at that time, they had the lowest work of breathing of any regulator on the market.

I bought two of them. They are performing flawlessly. I have had them down to about 220 feet so far with effortless breathing. (Of course, using Helium based mixes makes the WOB even easier, but this is all relative to other regulators on the same mixes). I have breathed from these and exchanged regulators with other divers using top notch ScubaPros at depth. To me, there is a night and day difference in the effort required to breathe from these and the best ScubaPros.

Now, if you are going to just use your regulators for shallow reef diving, and that is all you are ever going to do, the truth is that you can get away with a less expensive, decent but not top performing regulator, saving some money. On the other hand, if you intend to stay on open circuit diving for some time into the future, and you intend to advance to deeper diving, you will regret buying a regulator that is not a top performer later. Since regulators will last for a long time when cared for properly, and if there is any kind of realistic chance that you will engage in activities where there will be a benefit in having a top performance regulator, you will do very well by considering the LX Supremes over the long haul.

ScubaDadMiami:
Here's a good way to find out how well a regulator works. Find someone who has it already. Go diving with him/her. At depth (deeper is better--please don't be an idiot--do this under proper precautions and conditions), take a breath from your regulator. Then, take a few breaths from the other regulator. Do you like the way the other one breathes? If you don't, make sure to find out when it was last serviced before ruling it out. If you do, it is likely to be worth considering if is easy to service, and parts are readily available.

Next, every parrot will tell you to go ScubaPro only, and not to consider anything else. There is nothing wrong with ScubaPro regulators. However, they are not the only good brand of high performance regulator having parts available around the world anymore. Much of the justification for owning them exclusively is no longer a fact due to changes in the world availability of parts, and the fact that there are regulators on the market that currently have better performance than ScubaPro's best models.

I have not checked on the specs in over a year, because that was when I was looking into buying new regulators for myself. So, it is possible that, since that time, there are now even better performing regulators on the markt than the Legend LX Supremes. However, at that time, they had the lowest work of breathing of any regulator on the market.

I bought two of them. They are performing flawlessly. I have had them down to about 220 feet so far with effortless breathing. (Of course, using Helium based mixes makes the WOB even easier, but this is all relative to other regulators on the same mixes). I have breathed from these and exchanged regulators with other divers using top notch ScubaPros at depth. To me, there is a night and day difference in the effort required to breathe from these and the best ScubaPros.

Now, if you are going to just use your regulators for shallow reef diving, and that is all you are ever going to do, the truth is that you can get away with a less expensive, decent but not top performing regulator, saving some money. On the other hand, if you intend to stay on open circuit diving for some time into the future, and you intend to advance to deeper diving, you will regret buying a regulator that is not a top performer later. Since regulators will last for a long time when cared for properly, and if there is any kind of realistic chance that you will engage in activities where there will be a benefit in having a top performance regulator, you will do very well by considering the LX Supremes over the long haul.
Awesome, just what I wanted to know, and hear. Thanks for the advice

My buddy has one and he loves his. He got it because it's more of a cold water reg.Are you going to use yours in cold water/deep water? For what it's worth he got his on sale at leisure pro for $280.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom