Leisurepro Experience with Suunto Vyper Wrist Computers

In Regards to LeisurePro.com Suunto Computers?

• Good on their word to sell the same quality products like Suunto OEM

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Good on their warranty for their Suunto Computers, I will post why?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gonna screw you, and I will post why?

• Their Suunto computers are reliable, I will post why?

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Their Suunto computers are not reliable, I will post why?

• NOT Good on their on their warranty for their Suunto Computers

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacNWdiver once bubbled...
I'd ask to talk to the floor manager or owner and say just what you said above. Be as sincere as you can and let them know that you WANT to spend your money with them but you can't ignore the prices you find on line (I wouldn't mention LP by name unless asked to prove the pricing).

Don't forget to allow for the cost of shipping, local tax (if any) and the benefit of not having to wait 1 week to 10 days for your computer.

I have found shops willing to work with me on this on-line buying issue. So long as I don't come across with an attitude of "you're trying to rip me off." Most owners, even if you can't agree on a deal, have been at least grateful for the chance to earn my business.

John

Been there done that, they call Leisurepro the "evil empire". They told me that there is no way they can match their prices and if I found a price good as that to get it from them.

Oh well right?

96hokies once bubbled...
I find myself faced with the same dilemma. We really like our LDS owner, and he has gone out of his way for us in the past. That plus the warranty might just be enough to keep our business despite the price difference. The other really nice benefit for us is that we will be able to get some expert training at the store, and on our next trip with this dive shop.

One interesting thing our LDS told us on this very subject is that Suunto REQUIRES that they not discount below a certain floor price (apparently 10% off of MSRP.) IF they do, the warranty is void, just as with LP. Having some experience in the authorized distributor world, I have seen similar requirements quite often. This is how companies maintain the value and price point of their product, as they don't have to worry about authorized distributors undercutting eachother in a bidding war, which can result in driving the market value down. Also, when your dustributors can't make any money on your product, they quickly find something else to sell.

I know they gotta make their living too, but I gotta make mine as well outisde of SCUBA, and that's what buys my gear.

I'd like to plug in two votes for "Their Suunto computers are reliable, I will post why?" but obviously can only vote once....
Both my buddy and I purchased our Vypers from LP in Feb '01 and both are still doing just fine. No problems at all, and even still on the original batteries (we started carrying backup batteries last year).

I couldn't check off "Good on their word to sell the same quality products like Suunto OEM" or "Good on their warranty for their Suunto Computers, I will post why?" because I've had no problems with any of their equipment and thus, have never had to take advantage of their warranty service.

Our were among the last of the teal ones, and came hardcoded for Imperial. The grey version can be switched between Imperial and Metric. AFAIK, teal and black were not user-changeable without a special DOS program.

Buy from Eric at http://www.ass.com.sg/ (No, that's not a typo.) :)

Here's how Leisurepro is able to sell Suunto products: They find a European supplier of Suunto products, import them (with the price and currency exchange advantage) and sell them to you, making mucho moolah. :)

Conversely, you can simply buy overseas yourself from Eric at the link above.

I have purchased quite a bit from Leisurepro. Despite what you think, they ARE an LDS, having a large shop in New York City. Buying from them online is simply a bonus. They are not "shady" by any means, although if you talk to them, their curt New York attitudes might give you that impression.

I have purchased much from them... And in some cases, had to send things back for warranty. Their service was impeccable, and I would wholeheartedly recommend them. I once spent $500 on regs from them and had a warranty claim on the regs six months later - they replaced the faulty regs with a different brand, at my request, even though they were six months old. Try THAT at your LDS. :)

...So if you chose to buy from Leisurepro, have confidence... But don't forgo looking into the link above (you'll have to email Eric for prices) to see if they're cheaper. I bought my Vyper from Eric... It was on my doorstep (I live in a very rural area) in two days from Singapore. Very impressive, indeed... And also excellent service.

The advantage that Eric has in Singapore is that he IS a Suunto authorized shop. :)

Same old thread.

I guess the answer is: it depends on the LDS.

LP kicks butt. Great prices. Solid support. I've gone to my LDS to match LP/Internet prices and there hasn't been much flexibility. Even if they could, they shouldn't. Any business owner will tell you that you lose when you compete just on price.

The main selling advantage of LDS over LP/Internet is the personal touch. When you talk with LP, you're talking with a customer rep. If you talk with the LDS, you're often talking with the owner. Somehow, it seems that many LDS have forgotten how to provide value to their customers.

I support my LDS as much as I can. But, I don't rely on them for advice.

Also, I'm sure that Eric is probably ok - BUT, if you buy your equipment out of the US, make sure that the warranty will be honored in the US, not just the country that you bought it in.

Hantzu

Anybody else know where I can get the Vyper Wrist Mount Cheap with an OEM Warranty?

Somebody's got to have the hookup for this stuff?

Tanks everyone!

I tottaly agree..I bought all of my major gear from LP including my Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless and I have had no problem whatsoever...I must also agree that they do exude a "curt" attitude...downright unfriendly if you ask me but the prices RULE and trasactions and shipping are smoothe as silk. I give my LDS alot of business but for the major gear I calculated that I saved about $800 buying from LP

:eek: :)

CALI68 once bubbled...
I tottaly agree..I bought all of my major gear from LP including my Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless and I have had no problem whatsoever...
:eek: :)

You can look at buying from LP two different ways.

1. I saved enough from all the gear I purchased from LP to pay for a few pieces that might fail under no warranty or recourse at all.

2. I want authorized service and warranty that's honored in any remote location of the world that handles that brand.

With LP, number two is NOT an option and that is where the problem comes in. So I guess it depends on what your needs are.

I know for a fact that your VT Pro will NOT be covered anywhere but *maybe* LP. Oceanic products are not warrantied if bought through LP. So my recommendation is to not buy your "critical" equipment from discount houses.... especially if you travel. I prefer to have my Reg, Computer, BC and any life support big ticket items warrantied.

Just my .02 :)

Corvallis SCUBA once bubbled...

...So my recommendation is to not buy your "critical" equipment from discount houses.... especially if you travel. I prefer to have my Reg, Computer, BC and any life support big ticket items warrantied...

You raise an excellent point that I have been considering as we purchase gear... Not only do you not get the warranty, but what if something happens that causes you serious harm? Since you purchased the gear from a non-authorized dealer, the manufacturer can certainly claim they are not at fault for the equipment failure since they can't vouch for the history of the equipment (could have been used, damaged, stolen, recovered from a wrecked truck, who knows...) This could leave you with no legal recourse if something happens.

I hope I don't sound foolish asking this question, but I work on a dive boat and see alot of different computers. I have always been amazed at how conservative the Vypers are. You guys seem to like them pretty well, so there must be something I don't know about them. Maybe you could fill me in on the selling points of this computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom