Lembeh and Bangka or Bunaken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still haven't figured out the advantages of Bangka over Bunaken or vice-versa. Warmer? Less current? Less likely to be blown out from storms, surge, etc? Less trash? More fish? Better reefs? Is there someone who can answer that, please? We are currently planning pretty much the same trip (in December) and I'm wondering if we shouldn't forget the both of them and just stick to Lembeh.

Meanwhile, I'm going to look up Mimpi Indah. Sounds intriguing!

I still haven't figured out the advantages of Bangka over Bunaken or vice-versa.

Bunaken: more walls. Bangka: more slopes/ledges

Bunaken: more hard coral. Bangka: more soft coral

Bunaken: more boats/divers. Bangka: more remote and relaxed

Bunaken: more exposed than Lembeh. Bangka: more exposed than Lembeh

Bunaken: good diving. Bangka: good diving

Thanks, highdesert! Btw, I love your tagline. And I am so done with winter.too!

So Bangka and Bunaken are similar in current, wind, etc? I mean, one is just as likely as the other to have places the boats can't get to on particular days due to weather & conditions?

I can't tell you about differences in current between the two, if there are any. In very general terms, I would say that Bunaken would offer a greater percentage of more protected sites than Bangka, due to its shape and location. In that respect, I would opine that Bangka is actually somewhat more exposed than Bunaken.

Last edited:
In very general terms, I would say that Bunaken would offer a greater percentage of more protected sites than Bangka, due to its shape and location.
I would be surprized if both side of Pulisan and Bangka where not diveable at the same time. On top of that, I remember diving Bangka In midfebruary, the straitwas dead flat all the way to Lembeh , while looking at the western side (Bunaken direction) I could see ripple of winds, white foam on top of the waves and dark rainclouds over Manado.

I can't tell you about differences in current between the two, if there are any.
At least, I have never witnessed downcurrents in Bangka!

Luko, I think it's one of those "any given day" propositions. We considered booking Bangka in February, and were told it could be good ... or not. But the resort on Bangka considered February "iffy".

Back
Top Bottom