Lembeh Resort Trip Report, Christmas 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ss--Nice write up, interesting observations. We were in Lembeh for our first time in March, 2012 and stayed 2 weeks at NAD. Had a great time but I recall thinking at the time as we left "Might have been a bit too long...". That went away shortly after we got back home and I started going over photos and being reminded of just how special and unique that environment really is.

Then, back in November, we got to stop over in Lembeh for 5 nights (this time at Black Sand). I can now say with certainty that 5 nights is too short! I wonder if the trips had been switched though, if I wouldn't have found 2 weeks to be too short once I had my basic Lembeh experience behind me? I am deeply suspecting that, like any worthy acquired taste, the place grows slowly on you with time. (Or am I just reading too many Lembeh threads lately? :eyebrow: )

We also saw some "egg" opportunities in November, this nudi shot probably was the better one:
Nudibranch laying eggs.jpg

I liked that you noted how great you were treated overall. We are convinced you have to look pretty hard to find surly, unhelpful locals in Indonesia, especially in the resort or liveaboard realms. In our fairly brief experience with Indonesian diving (4 resorts, 2 liveaboards in last 3 years) we have had consistently wonderful interactions with all kinds of people. In the hospitality area especially, genuine niceness seems to be an Indonesian national standard.

As for traffic, I would put Jakarta's traffic up top for serious congestion...but also give them the highest mark for basic civility! // ww

@ww. Awesome photo of the nudi laying eggs. I've seen the eggs and the nudis but never the nudi laying eggs!

There was a lot of mating and egg-laying going on while we were there. Mine's not as good as yours, but...nudi with eggs cropped.jpg

I have to say that I never wanted to skip a dive in Lembeh. I had one day off (ear problems) and was terribly frustrated and convinced they would find the hairy octopus without me. I also think you tend to get into the critter hunting, testing your own skills compared to the much-superior dive guide. I was so proud of myself when I found something on my own!

Warmwater, you have had a spent a lot more time in Indonesia than I have (lucky!) I cannot wait to get back and it really isn't just for the diving or the natural beauty. The Indonesian people we met made such an impression on all of us, it just made the experience even more wonderful.

Indonesia ... ahhhh... for sure the WHOLE ENCHILADA so to speak!! Our absolute favorite dive destination!

Wetlens, curse you, I am supposed to be working! But how can I when you have such outstandingly beautiful photographs to distract me? Seriously, what a joy to peruse your albums while outside my window it is dark and dreary and the-snow-is-a-coming. What a great day to think of someplace warm and sunny and underwater.

The colors in your photos are so amazing--do you use some sort of post-photo process (or whatever they call it) to enhance? You obviously have been at this a long time.

Blue Heron Bridge! We actually have been there quite a few times as my son goes to University about two hours away. It really is a cool site, isn't it? Saw a short-nosed batfish there once. Have never been there at the right time for a night dive, however.

Lately I've been meeting so many people who have been on the Pindito! Did you love it? Did you write a report? After all these years, we are finally planning-to-plan our first LoB trip; have been advised that the Philippines would be a good first-time venture, but there sure are a lot of Pindito fans out there.

Thanks for sharing your photos! I have bookmarked your site for future grim days of winter!

Thanks, Sorrows. I do run my photos through Photoshop - a quick sequence to adjust brightness, contrast, and sharpness, then resize for use - typically screen size. Most of the time I use 1440 x 900 as final size (my laptop screen). Occasionally work over a photo more than that, but if it takes more than a couple minutes per photo, I loose interest fast.

Just returned from a weekend at BHB - took my wife, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter for their first bridge experience. We had a great time - even with limited vis. No camera this time as I was focused on my granddaughter (11 years old).

Liked the Pindito a lot. I'd have to say it was the most structured live-aboard I've been on, but for what they have to do to get divers in the water, I understand. Indonesian crew was fantastic and a great mix of food. We did a "Biodiversity Cruise," so there was a lot of moving around. Knew that going in. Had some great diving experiences and some mediocre dives. I'd do the Pindito again, but not the bio cruise. Likely try Komodo if we do it again.

Great report. I also appreciate the issue of having to plan a year in advance for the school holiday and the problems that a fixed and narrow window causes... I am in the same position myself. Trying to use miles is also very stressful, like an e-bay auction, with one finger on the "enter" button as the sweep second hand ticks to the moment the seats become available...

I'm glad it worked for you. It gives me hope.

dgrauman, I notice you are in Alaska--so you are a bit closer to the Pacific dive sites than we are!

Another problem with (Christmas) holiday travel--it doesn't seem to be the best diving time for a whole lot of locations. I don't just mean weather as in is-the-sun-shining? but weather as in can-the-boats-get-out? It's one of the reasons we scrubbed a proposed trip to the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago--scared off by reports of too many people not being able to do the shore dives.

Palau was very good at this time of year--just a bit of rain. (LOVE it, btw, totally recommend for a family of divers.) I've heard Raja and parts of the Philippines are also good at this time of year. But I'd hate to spend all that money for Wakatobi, for example, and deal with too much rain, wind, storms, etc.

I've given up going anywhere here in the Caribbean during the Christmas break except for Bonaire. Always good. Always dependable. We've had bad experiences with December weather in both Cayman and Roatan--yes, it was lovely enough to sit on the beach, but not for diving! Spring break is usually more reliable, but then we only have a week.

Btw, dealing with college breaks is a lot easier than high school--more time! Of course, there was the year my son's university decided to curtail the winter break by one week and we were left scrambling to change tickets and resort plans, etc. Yikes!

See, I would like to be more spontaneous, but it just isn't possible!

Sorrows,

Yes, we WOULD be closer... Except... there are no flights direct from Alaska to anywhere except Hawaii any more. There used to be, before the advent of the 747-400's and later really long range aircraft. So, we now have the lovely prospect of being 8 hours into the trip, and having the captain cheerfully announce that we are now passing Anchorage on the great circle route to the far east.

Palau this last year was great, and Bonaire has been wonderful. But, there is so much world, and so little time. Not to mention money.

Thanks for a great trip report. We went to Lembeh in 2004 (stayed in #10 at Lembeh Resort - they had just opened the previous year) and have been trying to get back, but life intervened unfortunately. We are finally planning a return visit, but were a bit concerned that the increase in the number of divers in the Strait would negatively affect the critters. However, it sounds like the sea life is as prolific as ever.

Our favorite critter was the flamboyant cuttlefish, so thanks so much for that amazing photo of the hatchling. We are now totally motivated to get back there. We are confirmed muck divers, so two weeks in Lembeh sounds just about right for us, but we are also hoping to spend at least a week diving in Bunaken/Bangka.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom