Lens advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knifer

New
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about investing in my first lens for my canon 570 camera with ikelite housing. I've read around and it seems that most people use/recommend the inon ucl-165 or ucl-330 for macro. Some people even said they used two of them at once.

Since I'd like to switch out the lens whenever I want, I'd want some type of wet lens. However, I'm a little unsure as to which one to get and the uses for the 165 compared to the 330 or using both at once. What I want to do is get some nice upclose shots of things like nudis, corals, etc.

I also do not have an external strobe yet, so I'm not sure if I should get one of those before I get the lens.

You are right about the strobe. It will be necessary with the close up lenses.

DesertEagle is right. You need to invest in good strobe(s) before you invest in good macro lenses. You will need the light and you will appreciate the pictures MUCH more. Without the strobes you will not have the content and the light in a macro shot to appreciate it as much (IMHO).

I thought as much. Since I would need a slave strobe, I'm stuck between a sea and sea ys-27 or an ikelite ds-51

I assume your housing does not have TTL capability? As for slave strobes,my set-up still only has one DS-125 strobe run by TTL so I can only wait for others to offer help specific to slave strobes. If your camera and housing have the capability of running TTL off the camera's hotshoe that is much better for you.

I thought as much. Since I would need a slave strobe, I'm stuck between a sea and sea ys-27 or an ikelite ds-51
why are you stuck with those 2 strobes? Why not consider the Inon D2000? I find it's much easier to use.

I meant that I was debating between the two. The ikelite housing I have does not have a hotshoe so I can't run TTL.

I guess I have three to choose from now, or just wait until one shows up in the classifieds :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom