Let's chat about DSLR vs Point and Shoot - looking for some wisdom / experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After flooding my Ikelite housing by not latching the back, I grabbed my video camera and had a little fun with my Nikon D700 on the reef. :(
At least you didn't let the salt water bath for your camera spoil your mood.

If I was going to take my DSLR swimming I would want to put insurance on it. DAN seems to have a particularly good gear policy that looks covers anything except throwing it overboard or dropping it while diving. It certainly names flooding, theft, and airline mischief.

I think my immediate path forward is another compact camera. I'd really like to take the DSLR swimming, but I think right now that's overkill and overcomplication for where I'm at.

There is a little debate on Sony vs Canon, although I think from Backscatters articles and videos that either would serve me well. Video isn't really my thing underwater other than small bits. It seems like what I see in my mind when I hit record and what shows up on the memory card are from different universes. I see smooth, well framed footage... what shows up on the memory card looks more like a GoPro strapped to a fin. Reality is somewhere in between, but the footage isn't good for much other than reminding me of the good time I had.

On the bright side, the Canon is only a $500 fee when you flood one. Sony is still commanding around $1K for a used one.

There is a little debate on Sony vs Canon
Sony wins for P&S. I see LOTS of happy u/w photographers with their RX100s of all vintages; I see almost NO Canon users, of any model...the occasional G9/16 user, the occasional G7X* user.

After flooding my Ikelite housing by not latching the back, I grabbed my video camera and had a little fun with my Nikon D700 on the reef. :(

Now that's funny! Wish I had been on that even a keel. I did the panic / soak in fresh water / then rice from the liveaboard kitchen. All of which had the predictable result.

On the bright side, the Canon is only a $500 fee when you flood one. Sony is still commanding around $1K for a used one.

The Sony RX100vii came to market in 2019; prior to that Sony had been releasing updates every year or so. There is every possibility there is some new Sony 'replacement' for the vii in the works; if you search you can find all kinds of rumors. When that happens, the RX100vii replacement cost will come down.

One of the reasons I got the TG-5/TG-6 was the camera itself is sealed and waterproof to 30' or so. I reasoned that if the housing failed on the surface (as happened to my Ikelite, although it wasn't really the housing that failed), then the camera might be salvaged. Of course, the fates and the universe decreed that 5+ years of TG5/TG6 with no leak detection and the basic Olympus polycarbonate housing...never flooded.

I went from a point and shoot to a DSLR. The point and shoot was a Nikon. It did raw. I had an Ikelite case for it. The focus lock was slow. It was OK for still stuff and for large rather slow moving stuff. But fish that moved much were nearly impossible. I used to take hundreds of photos per dive to get some keepers.

I switched to a Nikon DSLR with a Nauticam housing. The housing is very well laid out and gives great control over the camera. It also has a vacuum lock seal with a light that turns green when the seal is good. So there is virtually no chance of a flood. Also my DSLR acquires focus very fast. I take far far fewer photos now. I can review the exposure underwater. I can also get a good idea of the focus. Of course, the camera is far larger. Underwater that is not such a big issue because it is nearly neutral buoyancy.

Another possibility would be a mirror less system. The mirrorless cameras are far more compact than DSLR. That makes packing them for a trip far easier. Their speed of focus is far faster. And they have a decent array of lenses. They can be pricey if you go with a system that is up there with the best DSLR systems.

If you want a mirror less system that is not so expensIve and pretty good, you can get that.

Whatever you do, if you can go visit a dedicated retailer. You will see the stock and be able to handle it. Some will even let you rent a rig and dive locally with it. I know three of these: Backscatter, Bluewater Photo and Video and Reef Photo and Video in Fort Lauderdale (I live in FL so they are my go to).

I have a feeling that a DSLRs are being replaced by mirrorless cameras. If I was in the market to get an (new) underwater housing I would shop for one accommodating a mirrorless camera.

Recently Nikon D/C the Nikon D6 and D500. That sent a chilling message to many of us.

I would add that the comparison is P&S vs interchangeable lens cameras, as opposed to P&S and DSLRs. Canon/Nikon/SONY have all made the move to mirrorless, with DSLRs kind of yesterday's tech. That being said, there are great older DSLRs and they can be had for a steep discount on the resale market. But your older Canon EF mount glass aren't compatible with new and future Canon RF mount.

For macro the Canon 100 f 2.8 is in the top class (along with the Sony 90, Nikon 105 and 50)

I've seen great macro photos from P&S cameras like the SONY RX series and Olympus TG5/6, among others.

Megapixel count is less important than good glass and lighting. Most great digital shots before say 5 years ago were on 12 MP sensors.

Lots of good choices, have fun with it.

The panasonic gh6 is being released 2/22 it appears
leaked info if accurate seems interesting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom