Letting Boys be Boys, But Worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having been young once, a 14 year old male is invincible. However, sense is not something very high in one's thought processes. If my son, (15 and huge) were to do that, his timbers would get shivered real fast. And he better hope Mom doesn't get to him first!

All the suggestions are great, however, nothing beats a long leash. Lay down some laws, Catherine.

I think I agree with Sprat, I'd worry myself to death.

What if they capsize and some tiger shark goes for a moonlight snack??

I'd say you're either home before dark or no more kayak.

Most places, the laws require minimal lighting on boats out in the dark. I doubt the kayaks have it. There are other, much larger boats that will be out & they could easily be run over & no one would ever know it happened.

At that age they simply can't properly judge the risks they're taking, but they don't know or believe that. Back on shore by sundown is not an unreasonable rule for them to have to stick to.

I'm a mom and now a grandmother (two little guys--I can see the future in this thread). I think I would restrict being out after dark for their own safety. Kids think they are invincible. It would be nice if they were.

heck, that was a rule for playing outside as a kid, when the street lights come on, time to come in.

My 15 year old has to be in by 9:00! And he is NOT even by the water:shakehead . I just could not stand myseld if he was out in a kayak past dark and something happened! With, or without a light and safety precautions!

Even with the most well prepared teen (even adults) I would worrie about other boats. I have been out a few times and the glair from the moon can hide smaller craft in the water. ( kind of like drunk driver accidents. Its the sober ones hurt)

I grew up near mountain lakes, and the OR Coast. At 14 I likely knew everything, and was foolish! :D We did some stupid things, and I'm not going into it, but kids are going to use poor judgment. For example that moon remark, that's great, until something blows in and covers the moon! :mooner:

You can get them a cell phone, and put it in a Pelican case. Some will float, but you'd have to do a bit of research, and determine if it's going to survive you 14 year old. There's also the will he use it part. When I was young I likely would have skipped calling mom only to report that I'm breaking the rules.

A flashlight is never a bad idea. Heck, you really should consider marine flares, and gear designed to make boats safer. Of course flares are dangerous, but they could be valuable in an emergancy.

Red/Green lights on the front MIGHT help other boats avoid them assuming you can find something that would run off a battery, and can be mounted. An emergency light is likely much more visible then a low end weak dive light. Something like THIS

I do think home BEFORE dark is the rule to enforce. If he won't follow it, take away the privilege for a week. This is not a kill joy, this is being a parent! :D Unfortunately he WILL break the rule. Another thought is to gang up on him by having both you and the other boys parents enforcing the same set of rules. I always got into more trouble when my rules were stricter than the other kids as it just resulted in me getting home late.

Emergency Pack per person
(all in a waterproof pouch with clip -- clipped on to vest, not kayak):

2-3 chem sticks (cyclumes)
strobe or gootoob at minimum
small led lithium battery flash light
marine radio
whistle (outside of waterproof pouch ok)
energy gel packs (6+)

Ideally if they are going that far out, they should also have a kayak leash... so waterproof pouch leashed to boy... boy leashed to boat...

Subset of http://www.kayakingjournal.com/kayak-survival-kit.html
also good http://www.watertribe.org/Magazine/Challenge/ArticleWhenGodsPlay.asp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom