Life Insurance Premiums for SCUBA Divers

Are the typical increased rates insurance companies charge SCUBA divers reasonable?

• Yes, they are reasonable and are based on actuarial tables.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Rates for divers should be higher, but not much. They should be the same amount higher than the rate

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, they are unreasonable, and although they may have some basis in actuarial information, the stati

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No they are unreasonable and are not ethical.

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

though most life insurance companies will ask.

When I got my policy, I was asked for average depth of my dives. I thought it an odd question, but instead calculated the average maximum depth for my dives which was 60ft. I noted that the actual average depth would be shallower.

They also asked about highest level of certification, whether I did solo diving, and the number of dives I had done.

In the end, I still got the preferred rates. My policy is through Western Southern Life and I got my quote online (through Quotesmith?) and had the policy issued in about a month.

on getting my insurance updated, but here's what I found out today.

Allstate, of course asks about "extreme" activities, i.e. skydiving, race driving, private pilot, scuba, etc.

Two years ago, when we got additional policies, I was not diving. The question was not "Have you ever...." but "Do you participate in......". So my answer was truthfully, "No".

Since then I have gotten back in and have not updated until today when our agent called for our two-year update.

He was not sure what would be the affects, so he did some checking and called back with numerous questions. How long ago was I certified, what certifications, what is my current cert level, how many dives, what is the maximum depth I dive....

He had one of the talking heads on the other line and was feeding him my answers and me, his questions.

End of story is, at this point my premiums will not change due to experience and training level.

I recently bought life insurance and all they wanted to know was if I went deeper than 130'. They stated that they will not cover people that dive deeper than the "recreational" limits.

Mike

how about "dont ask dont tell"?
im not being a smart @ss, i just feel sometimes that you shouldnt volunteer some info.

I recently had someone from First Command try to pressure me into life insurance (single, no kids, no one depending on me or my income, don't think I need it). Anyway, the question came up about SCUBA. When I said "yes" The next question was "how deep?" I said I only do recreational and we are only certified to 130. He said that would not impact rates as they just want to seperate out the commercial and tech divers from the recreational divers. Still didn't go for the life insurance

So, I would shop around. Not all companies will up their rates for SCUBA.

When I've been filling out the forms and they have asked if I do a dangerous sport I have asked do diving and skiing count?

No one has ever thought so - so far.....

If I had a website, and new the first thing about posting information on it, a list of insurers that divers recommended based on their experiences would be the kind of thing divers would find useful.

By the way, I played FLAG FOOTBALL yesterday and came away with a couple of painful injuries, one of which was nearly a concussive blow to the head. If I were an insurer, I think I'd ask people if they played football and scratch the SCUBA question.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!

-David:wink:

gsxr1997 once bubbled...
how about "dont ask dont tell"?
im not being a smart @ss, i just feel sometimes that you shouldnt volunteer some info.

And generally ok. If they don't ask, you are not under an obligation to tell. You are under an obligation to truthfully answer the questions posed.

Good idea.. I have a diving related website but I know nothing about insurance. I am willing to add a page with diver friendly insurance companies if I get some input from fellow divers.

Back
Top Bottom