Life returning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
During our dives on Thurs., Phil and I were surprised to find a bit more life on the reefs than we've seen in recent dives. By "life" I mean nudibranchs of all sizes and some interesting minicrustaceans. Water was 54 - 55 degrees with ~12' hazy vis.

Limacia cockerelli (~1/8")
0.%20Limacia%20cockerelli%20on%20rubber%20_DSC7348_zpsylapmunh.jpg

Completely unexpected! A large Doriopsilla spaldingi on the White Point outfall pipe. Haven't seen one in years.
1.%20Doriopsilla%20spaldingi_DSC7373_zpsqimrksjz.jpg

Polycera tricolor...it was a very good year.
2.%20Polycera%20tricolor_DSC7354_zps1ivckxrd.jpg

The designer-colored Acanthodoris lutea
3.%20Acantodoris%20lutea_DSC7378_zpsszwt4qti.jpg

Yet another Peltodoris mullineri on Kevin's Reef. By comparing their unique pattern of pigment spots, we've identified 3 different individuals there. We saw this one exactly 2 months ago; it hadn't gone far.
4.%20Peltodoris%20mullineri_DSC7363_zpsfhtsjbtk.jpg

Tritonia festiva on White Point outfall pipe.
5.%20Tritonia%20festiva_DSC7367_zpsunhr6d8d.jpg

A fresh crop of eggs gave away these Doto form A, smaller than the eye can see. In other images, I found even smaller ones tucked away in the dense substrate.
6.%20Doto%20form%20A%20amp%20eggs_DSC7398_zpsrtwzjqfa.jpg

Hundreds of pin-dot size munnid isopods covered a single grey sponge.
7.%20Munnid%20isopods_DSC7332_zpse8sujf7s.jpg

An even smaller amphipod at the resolution limit of my lenses.
8.%20Amphipod_DSC7404_zpsk7z0h3qx.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos! this is Los Angeles outfall pipe? I found an old thread about this that says more than three feet visibility is a gift!

Last edited:
It's the southernmost outfall system. Here's my report on it from two years ago. You're right about the vis. It's a grab bag!
All Along the Outfall

Such beautiful photos! My empty nest years are taking on a new mission of diving and photographing!

As always, nice images Merry. Happy Nudi Year to you and Phil (as well as Kevin)

As always, nice images Merry. Happy Nudi Year to you and Phil (as well as Kevin)
Thank you and same to you, Dr. Bill. We'll pass this on to Kevin.
Please have a great year of diving. :)

Wow Merry! That Limacia cockerelli is mindblowing! Lovely Polycera tricolor, great pose on him! Happy New Year! Glad to hear the "life" is showing signs of coming back. My dives at Marineland last month were very nudi lacking. Only the occasional Shawl was seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom