Lifetime Free Dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never store any long-term archival data that I care about on any cloud service, not even a reputable one, not even google. And especially not one that requires a constant subscription. Been burned before. All it takes is for someone to make the business decision that deleting your stuff saves money. They don't care. Cloud is great for sharing files and co-working on stuff, not for archiving a lifetime of dive logs or precious family photos.

Local backups, and backups of backups. Luckily dive logs hardly take up any space at all, and with drives now incredibly cheap it's easy to have redundant duplicates. Keep the drives in a cheap fire safe, with an emergency duplicate at a separate location if you really care about your dive media hoard.
You make a great point. In fact, it’s this very reason that I am in this position. I had been using diverecord . Com for years and years as my primary dive log. Never backed it up so that’s on me. They closed up shop with no warning and no further access to your dive logs. 30 years of dives, gone just like that.

You make a great point. In fact, it’s this very reason that I am in this position. I had been using diverecord . Com for years and years as my primary dive log. Never backed it up so that’s on me. They closed up shop with no warning and no further access to your dive logs. 30 years of dives, gone just like that.

Agree. The shearwater "cloud" is the name of the app, but it works in offline mode. I use the online / cloud feature as a way of syncing across various devices. Don't let it be the only place the data is located.

I'm a data nerd... I have my dive computer synced to the app on my phone (AquaLung and DiverLog+), but since I know technology can crash at any time, I created an Access Database to house all of my data as well, which is stored on my computer and Cloud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom