Question Looking for a good software to download my dives and list my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMBL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks,

First, I'm not sure I'm posting in the right section, sorry. Please, move my post the correct place if needed.

Ok, here's my predicament :

Owned a Mac for years, used MacDive to download data from my dive computer. It was very easy and convenient. Could also list all the gear I used on any dive (from socks to multiple tanks). It was extremely convenient : it helped a lot to have the best configuration for the next time, any diver involved in trimix or cave diving, will agree I'm sure. Moreover, that software gave a total of the dives any piece of equipment had been used on, which was a great help to plan regulators service, for example.

Now, I'm running a PC, with dual boot Linux/Win (and android phone), and I dive with a SW Petrel and I can't say I've found any log book software satisfying :

- Subsurface's interface is not convenient,
- Shearwater cloud is not reliable,
- tried several other software and apps, too numerous to quote here, but all bad,

So, I'm asking : what's your choice software, whatever the platform, to download your dives and manage your equipment database ? Please, tell me all about it.

I personally use DiverLog+ which supports my AquaLung i770R perfectly, which I also use to organise my gear. I don't think it supports a Peteral unfortunately, and the Windows interface is... interesting, so I don't think it would be a good choice in my opinion.

After some googling, I found Diving Log 6.0. It's interface looks nice, it's very customisable and it has a LOT of support for dive computers, but I haven't personally tried it yet (I definitely will though, it looks good).

If you have a Mac/iPhone I really like DiveLog. You can sync multiple apple devices, it will download from multiple computers, you can log your dive sites, equipment, etc and then it will give you stats like how many dives/hours you have in a particular configuration and at certain locations. It will track different configurations (doubles, sidemount, CCR, SCR) and show deco ceiling, and your AI logs. No PC version is the only downside.

What are your issues with SW Cloud ("not reliable" and "iffy")?
I find it robust and easy to use; WIN11 and Android.
Just returned from a 10 day diver trip (25 dives) and downloaded two SW computers (Perix and Teric) every day or two with the Android, then synced occasionally to the Cloud when internat popped up, then grabbed it all from the Cloud onto my desktop when I got home, to add some things and transfer some things to my master Excel file. No issues.

Been using DiveLog 6.x for years and years and it's had a lot of feature adds over the years. The DiveLog version for iPhone will synchronize with the PC version, although a bit clunky, it works. The only issue I've found is the lack of mV values for the O2 sensors coming out of a CCR controller. Otherwise, Petrel synchs nicely with the BT sync. I also like the table format for dive updates; enables easy copying of data like equipment used, from one dive to the next.

What are your issues with SW Cloud ("not reliable" and "iffy")?
I find it robust and easy to use; WIN11 and Android.
Just returned from a 10 day diver trip (25 dives) and downloaded two SW computers (Perix and Teric) every day or two with the Android, then synced occasionally to the Cloud when internat popped up, then grabbed it all from the Cloud onto my desktop when I got home, to add some things and transfer some things to my master Excel file. No issues.
When I switched over to the SWC it wouldn't download my dives (~400), despite pairing to my computer. I figured that it was because my computer's firmware was old, so I tried to update it, but the SWC kept giving an error after a while. I managed to bootstrap with the legacy version and got my firmware to the latest version, but still had SWC crash twice before getting all the dives uploaded. It's ok since then.

When I switched over to the SWC it wouldn't download my dives (~400), despite pairing to my computer. I figured that it was because my computer's firmware was old, so I tried to update it, but the SWC kept giving an error after a while. I managed to bootstrap with the legacy version and got my firmware to the latest version, but still had SWC crash twice before getting all the dives uploaded. It's ok since then.
Windows or Mac?

+1 for DiveLog on PC and iOS. Does most (if not all) of what you're seeking.

Lance

You might consider having a look at DiveMate since you are Android...

It is Android only (I don't know if it will run in emulation) and to really use it well you need to buy one of the fetaure-enabling packs for downloading and gear logging. The gear logging is pretty good with the ability to build hierarchical "sets" of equipment and then add that set when appropriate.

It has a reasonable, if occasionally quirky, interface, backs up to GoogleDrive & Dropbox (I use for syncing multiple devices), and has good import/export for migration.
-- Import
  • Diving Log 5/6
  • Mac DiveLog DT
  • MacDive
  • SubSurface
  • Garmin
-- Export
  • Diving Log 5/6
  • MacDive
  • SubSurface

Feature updates aren't really there much recently, but computer list has been happening occasionally (ex. all but Tern series of SW comps are there - I don't know if Terns are somehow compatible with the Teric transfer profile, but they are not yet listed in the app.)

FWIW, I'd been considering migrating to SubSurface at some point, mostly to be using the "standard" and for some more sophisticated dive graph analysis on the PC. Your statement about SS Cloud being unreliable is not great news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom