Lift bag for Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with the closed circuit lift bag from Halcyon. After you get it, add your name with one of these.

You're getting suggestions for both lift bags and SMBs. Which do you need?

Last edited:
I like the advantages of a completely closed bag, however I don't really want to add an extra hose just to fill it either. (my LPI is nice and short, and it's just plain easier to switch to my backup to inflate with the primary than it is to oral inflate) I'm figuring on the "open" bag with the anti-spill flapper valve to keep the bag from dumping air if it falls over at the surface. I've used a 6' SMB that had the flapper valve, and when it was fully inflated I could leave it filled on my living room floor for five minutes before it started to get soft. Although if this design works well for SMBs, but not lift bags, I'd love to hear from anyone that's used them for their perspective.

My issue with the tall closed 70lb bag from piranha is that the dump valve is at the bottom. While in an ideal world we would always match up our bags to our loads perfectly, I want the flexibility to lift a lighter object while maintaining control of the ascent.

The requirement is for either an SMB or lift bag capable of lifting me and my gear in the event of a total wing failure. I intend to use a lift bag because the SMB I like just does not have the lift required, and a lift bag adds the ability to lift larger objects in a controlled manner when I need it.

One of my questions is whether the piranha products are solid or not. I know they aren't exactly commercial canvas, but are they comparable to say Hollis, XS Scuba, or DiveRite for example? Customer service (if a seam fails for example)?

For the kind of diving you're training for, you'll probably end up in a dry suit at some point. The dry suit inflation hose will be easy to tuck out of the way when diving wet and the flange that comes on many of them makes them easier to handle with one hand than a regular LP hose. There's also much less chance of getting it caught on the bag then sticking your primary into or near it. That's what I did in my Adv Nitrox/Deco Procs course, and inflating the bag was a piece of cake. If you want to use it as a back-up to a failed wing, you'll need the OPV on top, where the air will be, otherwise you won't be able to control it on the way up.

Yeah... I've been waiting for funds to free up to go dry, so I might as well just add the hose. I think I'm convinced on the closed bag. Probably going to go with this one unless anyone has seen a killer deal on a closed lift bag with a top dump somewhere... Halcyon Lift Bag - 80lb Closed Circuit - Blem | Wreck Diver Supply

Back
Top Bottom