Lift question: Will I experience a horrible death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 38 lbs lift does just fine with twin 120 steels.......might have enough lift for an AL80.

If your weighting is correct you should be able to swim back to surface without a BC. Anyway not to belabor the point but with an aluminum single and a wetsuit you are probably OK but it will depend on how well you can swim. Of course at 100 depth the wetsuit and hooded vest will loose ~15 pounds of buoyancy. Do try dumping all your air at incrementally deeper depths and see if you can swim it up. You will have your BC to back you up, and you will know what will happen if the day comes when you do not.

Testing in a pool is not adequate. In a 7 mil FJ style wet suit I weight so that my wing is nearly empty at 20 feet. With a 30 lb lift wing I was negative below 120 feet. 35 lb wing is OK. Testing is good. i cannot swim up with an empty wing from below 80 feet. So I dive either a dual bladder, a drysuit, or at a minimum a lift bag or smb. That way I don't have to leave anything behind in a failure.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom