Light Canon and my Panasonic DVX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I just got my first video setup. It's an Equinox Housing for my Panasonic DVX100. Right now I can't really invest $2K into a lighting setup so I was wondering how a single UK Light Cannon would fair for California Diving and how many diffusers I should use. I might even get a 2nd Light Cannon as a temporary fix if they produce good results.

Thanks!

Billy

So I just got my first video setup. It's an Equinox Housing for my Panasonic DVX100. Right now I can't really invest $2K into a lighting setup so I was wondering how a single UK Light Cannon would fair for California Diving and how many diffusers I should use. I might even get a 2nd Light Cannon as a temporary fix if they produce good results.

Thanks!

Billy

My light canon came with a diffuser, so they obviously intended for it to be used that way. The manual also has reference to it's use as a photo/video light.

It sure is bright, and WHITE.

Hey Billy - congrats on the new system! I've used dual light cannons as my prinicple lighting for a few years now. I started with one, and for some macro it can be worked with...but two made a huge difference. I use both diffusers in each. If you compare the lobster video (single light) with the baby bat ray or the night sequences of the Fiji video (both dual lights) you can get an idea as to what the difference would be. Ideal for all occasions?...probably not...decent video lights at a significantly lower cost?...absolutely.

Peter - Great site, like your videos. Stuff like Bula, were you using a filter at all? The Cannon's (dual) seem to work great..

Billy - the one "gripe" I thought of after the first post isn't so much about using the cannons as lights - but about the cannons in general. the long start-up time can be a pain in the @$$, and as a result I tend to leave them on always so I don't miss a shot...for multiple-dive days this can be a gamble battery-wise. I think non-HID, dedicated video lights can be more rapidly turned on and off...just a consideration...

pmattb - glad you like the site and enjoyed the videos...

For night shooting with the light cannons I do not typically use the red filter....with the exception of the baby bat ray footage during which I had been doing some filter experimenting when I saw the ray, and didn't have the time to get the filter off. With both light cannons you can see moments in that footage where it's over-saturated due to the red filter. For all of the night footage in Fiji, the red filter wasn't used at all...and for dual light cannons at night that's my general recommendation.

Daytime it's a bit trickier - and I certainly haven't figured out a "formula" for it...I do use the light cannons during the daytime but have to make a decision as to whether or not the red filter is better shot by shot.

I used the Cannons for a few years. Even have a brand new one sitting in the box unused. The cannons were certainly welcome when they first came out as there was not much within decent price range at that time. I can't ever recommend a one light set up no matter what the light however. The problem with the cannons was that their switches have always been somewhat fragile. When I used them, I always traveled with 3, in case a switch screwed up. Like all HID lights, they need time to power up but did not find that to be much of a problem. I liked the cannons for daytime use but also always carried halogen video lights for night time use. The reason was that with the cannons a full 6k, their light was too blue for night work. Sometimes I used 2 diffusers per light and sometimes just one, depending upon the conditions. They can have a hotspot without being properly placed. Then there was all the batteries and chargers I needed to pack and carry that the cannons demanded.
Now I use the L & M HID lights and am happy with them for both night and day. Of course, they are significantly more expensive. For an inexpensive light you might also check out Nocturnal lights whose build is much more robust than the cannons.
Steve:14:

Back
Top Bottom