Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the bright light injuring the fish, I don't know about optical injury but it might certainly sting. After all they are at depth and their eyes are dialated for night vision at that time. Fish eyes dialate right? So I would at least be like someone bounding into your room in the middle of the night and turning a big light on. I hate it when that happens. Does a HID have wavelengths that can cause injury like a lot of UV? Since fish do not watch the sun at the surface with dialted eyes I discount the sun in the eyes analogy.

Illuminating them makes them visble to predators and getting them on the move will make them vulnerable as well so disruptive divers are not doing the resting fish any favors.

I find night diving to be a very intimate "small space" experience so a modest light serves me well (PT E-LED). I often run it on low power.

Pete

I find my GreenForce Diamond LED is plenty. A back up light in theory, but I' ve been more than happy to use it as a primary light. Brighter than a lot of Halogen primaries my friends have dived with...

Z...

Zeeman:
I find my GreenForce Diamond LED is plenty. A back up light in theory, but I' ve been more than happy to use it as a primary light. Brighter than a lot of Halogen primaries my friends have dived with...

Z...

Hey Zeeman,

Glad you are happy with your Diamond :D It's certainly a bright little bugger.

Regards - Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom