Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Rick, Those numbers are great, but each manufacturer has their own idea of measuring things... much like most men. LOL! The numbers I was referring to are from NiteRider, so I was just trying to compare apples to apples.

Another thing to consider is bulb life and replacement costs. The NR bulbs range from $15-25 (retail) but last 5-10 times longer than anything else out there. My roomate uses the 3000, I prefer the 4000, but I'd like to pick-up and start using the new 5000. They are (the bulbs)warrantied for 30 days which is longer than most. Any manufacturer can crank up their color temp's by altering the makeup of the gas inside the bulb but it reduces life considerably.

Does anyone know of any impartial testing that has been done on the color temperatures of dives lights? It would be interesting to see that type of data.

They're not cheap at all. There are a few differnt companies offering roughly the same HID system out there. NR is tackling the issue from a different angle. The bulb and ballast is tiny compared to other's already on the market. I beleive it comes from the medical industry. They are now being made specifically for NR by that company. As for cost, you will probably wind up paying 60-80 per bulb, which is a fraction of what the other clunkers go for. Is it worth it? If you get in the water and see what it looks like compared to other systems... You'll be running to the shop to buy one. They are spectacular. They can literally turn night into day and allow you to see many things that would be improbable to see even during the day.

$60-80 a bulb? How much for the light it's self? Or is it just a matter of swapping out bulbs? What models are we talking about? Are they good for use as a primary light, which is what I'm in the market for?

Warhammer,
I hope you're sitting down...
NR3000 $500
NR4000 $700-850
NR5000 $700
On the retail side but there are a few places on the internet that sell them considerably cheaper. I wont name any of these places. There is one that would get in trouble all the time by NR people because they kept undercutting local shops http://www.leisure-pro.com (you didn't hear it from me!) LOL!

If you would like to see a good write-up on a 4000 model check out: http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnjune00/niterider.html

Whoooo, those are out of my league for now. Speaking of LP, I can pick up the Sea Torch for $49 from them. Will Night rider honor their warranty if bought through LP? Would you use the Sea Torch as your primary? It like it, but the size of the beam has me concerned that it just wouldn't provide enough light for a primary.

Warhammer,
That what it was designed for a good light for the budget minded, that is upgradeable as your needs and wants arise.
You will be very happy with this light.
Not everybody is like M&M who buy dive equipment instead of lifes little extras, like food.

Don

What can I say, guilty as charged. I'd rather have new dive gear than anything else. The rest of my cash flow goes towards social events, vacations, computer parts... oh and mascara. LOL!

Ok, I'm gonna take your advice and order the Sea Torch. What about Nightrider's warranty if bought from Leisure Pro, still good? It doesn't really matter since it's not a major purchase, but it would be nice still.

Mario...LOL!! Now I know why you have such a battle with AIDS.:) I like my toys too, but the Mrs. keeps the restrants on as best she can.

NiteRider will warranty a product purchased from LeisurePro because LP is a qualified distributor for their product. Though dictating price is illegal, manufacturer's often frown upon discount outlets. That's all they can do, frown. In fact NR doesn't really keep track of your sent in warranty cards either. They just sit in a bunch of white boxes in some cabinets. I'd still send it in though. One more thing, if something does go wrong with it they usually replace rather than fix. Their cost is something like $12...

Oh and while you are ordering try to find out if they will be sending you one with a lanyard hole on the casing and a locking handle. These are the new ones, that have a modified case and a better internal spring. They load easier! The easiest way to ensure you will get one that is new is to pick a color other than black.

A good tip on using the light is to purchase a male-female quick release coiled lanyard, and attach it to your B.C. midway up in front of you. This gives you enough room to use the light, more available by sqeezing the buckle free. The nice part is that you don't have to hold onto it while you dive, enter or exit the water. They are fairly neutral so it won't bother you like a clunker from one of the other manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom