Lightweight scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone did.

Carbon fiber tank, internal rubber bladder, water pump fills tank bladder to act as bc. Weird, but light. Forget company name.

As close to light weight, given current pressure parameters is the old steel 72’s pushed up to 3000 psi.

what you need/want is something around the 72 physical size with 6000psi.

call it a VHP 110
We can easily buy 300-bars tanks here in Europe. High-strength steel, so lighter than aluminium.
But getting them filled at their rated pressure is not that easy...
Most filing stations here can go up to 250 bar, 232 bar being the standard.
But when you ask to fill at 300, many will refuse, because it would require to modify the settings of their safety valves.
And they are quite negatively buoyant at the beginning of the dive.
Conclusion for me is that the best compromise between size, capacity, cost, carrying weight, easy refilling and buoyancy is with steel at 232 bars. Possiblly Faber. My favourite size is 15-liters, which gives me a lot of air, enough for some "light deco" when required.
Luckily, this is the most common type and size here in the Mediterranean.
Some years ago, 300 bars tanks made in carbon fiber were presented, much lighter than the steel ones, but they were very expensive and never caught traction.
You have also to consider the problems you will encounter when it is time for pressure testing. These fiber tanks are very elastic, so they expand much more than the allowed tolerance. So most testing labs would discard them, not knowing the fiber technology and not taking care to read the relevant testing standards for carbon fiber tanks, which of course specify a much larger allowed expansion under pressure than steel tanks.

Couple of things here...

The current generation Scott SCBAs are carbon fiber wrapped aluminum and and normally filled to 5500PSI. Our air storage on the compressor is at 6000 PSI. The 5500 PSI 30minute bottles around about 5" diameter, contains 43 CuFt of air and weighs 10 lbs full

My department's bottles are about a decade old and are the 4500 PSI 45 minute bottles, which contain about 65 CuFt of air. and weigh 15 lbs full.

Surprised nobody posted the carbondives yet. While technically "rated" for underwater use the neck corrodes rapidly in salt water. Also not approved for use in the USA or Canada.

Carbon fiber SCBA cylinders are sometimes used in sump diving situations. Consider them semi-disposable tanks. My 9L (100cf at 300 bar) carbon fiber SCBAs take 14lbs on the cam bands to make them neutral.

Then I will rectify that :cool:. I've been diving them for 10 years now, no rust, no other issues, passed all TÜV inspections. I would never dive them as main tanks or stage tanks due to their buoyancy, but they are great as bail-out on the 'breather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom