Lion Air flight JT610 crashes into sea after take-off from Jakarta...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This doesn't look too good, still no news on any surviving passengers...

The plane — with a seating capacity of 210 — disappeared near Karawang in West Java province, said Yusuf Latif, a spokesman for the National Search and Rescue Agency. There are unconfirmed reports a tugboat crew in Karawang have reported seeing “debris of a plane” in the water, the Jakarta Post reports.

Lion Air has confirmed it lost contact with a passenger airplane flying from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang. The plane involved was a Boeing 737 Max-8 model. The aircraft is believed to be just two months old, and a significantly updated version over older 737 models.

Indonesian media is citing unconfirmed sources as saying there were 188 on board...

Passenger jet crashes into sea

Bummer....yes, the Max 8 is rather new technology......of a proven platform.

Wish for the best,

Without appearing insensitive - BBC just announced the flight as bound for Bangka Island - this is Bangka Billetung off Sumatra, not Bangka Sulawesi

Lion Air - Airline Ratings

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.45.01.png

Read on the news that Lion Air was "banned" by US in 2007 and gotten it back 2016? The EU was also barring Indonesian airlines for about a decade.

Of course, not until their investigation is complete should one assume it was the airline's/pilot's fault.

Both the EU and the Us deemed that Lion Air had met all the safety requirements and stipulated corrective factors, and both allowed Lion air to fly to their airspace in 2016.

There can be 3 causes.

Aircraft failure / Maintenance or design fault
Crew Error
Outside Influence.

Having been involved in a few aircraft crash investigations, I know that speculation is pointless. That won't stop the media who need to print something.

The Aircraft is in 35 m of water, to the Data recorders will soon (if not already recovered) and this will go in some way to give pointers to the cause.

It's a misconception that data recorders give the answer

Personally I am quite reluctant to fly on a budget airline in Indonesia. I try to use the full service airlines when flying in developing countries, even though they cost more.

I'm not sure if the safety numbers bear out our decision in this regard.

- Bill & Emily

Back
Top Bottom