Lionfish are HERE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well...here we go. We need the "Men In Black" spearfishing team to put s SWAT Lionfish team together.

I can tell you that is exactly what will happen. :D

Hopefully we can get an exemption on the jetties for Lionfish. I'm also thinking we should consider a few "Lionfish Roundup" events each year, similar to Paul's Crab Grab.

I think that is a great idea. We could also do an all year kind of thing, where if you kill one you take a picture for proof, and then we keep a list of everyone's totals. Might as well try to make the best of a bad situation.

I can tell you that is exactly what will happen. :D

Hopefully we can get an exemption on the jetties for Lionfish. I'm also thinking we should consider a few "Lionfish Roundup" events each year, similar to Paul's Crab Grab.

... Free dinner to the winner? :)

I think that is a great idea. We could also do an all year kind of thing, where if you kill one you take a picture for proof, and then we keep a list of everyone's totals. Might as well try to make the best of a bad situation.

Great Idea!

Maybe get a sticky up so we can keep it all in one place. I propose we count any photoed fish killed between say Mexico Beach, and the Mississippi River. Otherwise folks could go on vacation and wreck the curve.

Winner, either quarterly, bi-annually, or annually, could get something like a free dinner with Bugman at the Hooters of his (Matt's) choosing? or two free drinks with Denise?

:wink:

Seriously, like a gift cert at a local dive shop or McGuire's....

Although I suspect they wont survive the northern Gulf throughout the winter.

How would the Gulf winter waters compare to North Carolina (Atlantic) and parts North? Currents play funny tricks so I really do not know, but they are surviving (and taking over) farther North in the Atlantic than many ever thought they would so I suspect they might hold a couple more sustainability surprises yet.

Non-native Range: Lionfish have been reported along the southeastern United States coast from Florida to North Carolina. Juvenile lionfish have been collected in waters off Long Island, New York, and Bermuda. Lionfish were first spotted off the coast of North Carolina during summer 2000. During summer 2004, at least 155 lionfish were collected at 19 different locations off the coast of North Carolina, including hard bottom habitats and shipwrecks. Previous reports of lionfish include six that were accidentally released in Biscayne Bay, Florida, when a beachside home aquarium broke during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Further intentional releases of aquarium pets into the Atlantic Ocean have very likely contributed to the Florida population. There are additional diver reports of lionfish off Palm Beach and Boca Raton, Florida, from the early 1990s.

Source NOAA's National Ocean Service: Lionfish Invasion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom