Lionfish question for the biologists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a biology major, I am interested in how to deal with invasive species and their eradication. The theory that low genetic diversity could cause problems for the lionfish invading the Western Atlantic makes sense to me, but the odds are low that disease will wipe out the entire invasive lionfish population. Do you have any ideas on how else to deal with invasive populations, especially on an international level (like lionfish that are found all over the Caribbean)? I have participated in lionfish removal projects in the Bahamas with Blackbeard's Cruises as part of their conservation and education program http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/edu/conservation and was happy to contribute to a small decline in lionfish numbers, but I was wondering if anyone, especially marine scientist or policymakers, had any other ideas or information on how invasive species like lionfish are being dealt with to control their population growth. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone, especially marine scientist or policymakers, had any other ideas or information on how invasive species like lionfish are being dealt with to control their population growth.

From my reading of some of the literature on lionfish, there doesn't appear to be any serious plan forwarded to control their growth or spread in the west Atlantic. All basically anyone is doing is monitoring their populations and effects on the ecosystem (mostly on other fishes).

There are two kinds of ways to mitigate invasive species, eradication and "pruning". Either you eliminate the species entirely from a habitat, or you devote continuous efforts into minimizing population values in the habitat.

Since lionfish produce copious, planktonic larvae, and their *new habitat* is going to eventually be the entire bloody west Atlantic (within their thermal tolerances), curbing the spread of this species is basically impossible using currently known methods.

What this leaves us with is localized removal of adults (= fishing). From what I've heard, killing lionfish is a bit dangerous and manpower-intensive. It would probably require specially trained spearo's to be regularly picking the animals off a given reef, just to keep that particular reef (mostly) clear of the fish. If the removal is not continuous, new lionfish will simply come in and re-occupy the habitat.

Very few success stories against invasive species occur in marine habitats. This is because most marine habitats are very large and readily interconnect with others. Without a way to seal off (or compartmentalize) a given habitat, treatment options targeting invasive species becomes much more difficult.

What this leaves us with is localized removal of adults (= fishing). From what I've heard, killing lionfish is a bit dangerous and manpower-intensive. It would probably require specially trained spearo's to be regularly picking the animals off a given reef, just to keep that particular reef (mostly) clear of the fish. If the removal is not continuous, new lionfish will simply come in and re-occupy the habitat.

We have reached the same conclusions, and figure that the best we can do is to try to keep them from infesting the reefs that we dive on. I've removed four this month, all similar in size, about 16cm in length, all with bellies full of gobies and blennies. Some of them are tricky to get, others are not.

Since the original number of lionfish that were introduced to the Caribbean was so small shouldn't inbreeding be a problem for them?

Doesn't seem to be a problem with higher lifeforms in Alabama either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom