Lionfish Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I did some research on these guys, and had no idea how big the problem has become. Here in Tampa, we don't see them, and when I saw them at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park in Key West, I was shocked for I thought they only hung out on the reef. We spotted 3 of them right along the rock wall in the swimming area, only 20 yards from the beach. IMG_0467.jpg

For anyone who has ever been there, you will know exactly where this is:

x.jpg

I put a red circle on where they were hanging out...

Kill 'em and grill 'em! They are actually a rather tasty fish. The venom is only in the spines. It can be neutralized with hot liquid and, according to what I've heard, loses it's potency about an hour after the fish dies. Took four of them out of waters around Key Largo last week. They complimented my spiny lobster tails quite nicely!!:D
As far as taking them from FKNMS, found this on FWC's Lionfish info page:
"A permit is required to harvest lionfish in the no-take zones of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Permits are issued by the Sanctuary following training given by the Sanctuary and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)"
FYI, I was told by an FWC officer in the Keys that the daily limit of Lionfish is 100 lbs!!

The only predators I am aware of are Goliath Grouper and Sharks.

[Lil Jon voice] Sharks, sharks, sharks sharks sharks sharks EVERYBODY!! [/Lil Jon voice]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom