lionfish spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best way to take these fish pole spear, lion tamer type deal or something homemade

Everyone I dive with who spears lionfish uses a pole spear with the three prong tip. Length of the pole spear depends on personal preference. For keeping them, a lot of my buddies use a homemade PVC tube very similar to the 'zookeeper' (see here About ZooKeeper?). I have also heard of people taking one of the lobster motels, removing the mesh and replacing it with a dry bag, which is armored enough to prevent the lionfish spines from puncturing it.

But why one would like to spear these magnificent, friendly fish???

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I hope you're kidding.

I just use my pocket knife. If there's a grouper around, feed the dead fish to the grouper.

Because when they are not in their native habitat they are killing all the native magnificent, friendly fish.

A Bazzilion likes to you, Sir.

A Bazzilion likes to you, Sir.

Do you think Lion-fish eradication is ever going to be something that can be done on your charter? My son and I will be joining you on the 25th.

Because when they are not in their native habitat they are killing all the native magnificent, friendly fish.

Ah, didn't realize this... Where I live and dive they are native, and mostly harmless. They tend to be sort of a nuisance on night dives, thinking the light beam only and sole purpose is to help them in their hunting.. But usually a kick in the face shoos then away to bother somebody else ;-)

Sent from my myTouch 4G

And to top it all off...they are freaking delicious!!! Chef Hagen of Cactus Blue in Bonaire makes an awesome Lion fish burger and a giant Surf and Turf Bacon burger with Lion fish!!!! OMG...my mouth is watering now!! Where's my damn pole spear!!!

And to top it all off...they are freaking delicious!!! Chef Hagen of Cactus Blue in Bonaire makes an awesome Lion fish burger and a giant Surf and Turf Bacon burger with Lion fish!!!! OMG...my mouth is watering now!! Where's my damn pole spear!!!

This I must add to my bucket list- a trip to Bonaire and have a lionfish burger before I die :) another thread in which I confess of diving nitrox with ppo2 1.6 is killing me, so I must hurry up ;-)

Sent from my myTouch 4G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom