Lionfish spotted in Aruba!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here is some information about Lionfish and the recent Aruba story from September 14, 2009.

Please report all sightings!

Thank you and safe diving,
Bryan

Lionfish Information
28 July, 2009

A heads up and special request to Curacao divers from Dr. Mark Vermeij, Science Director at Curacao's Carmabi Foundation (CARMABI | Caribbean Research & Management of Biodiversity in Curacao) :

Now that the invasive lionfish has been observed North and South of Curacao, it will just be a matter of time before this fish will show up on Curacao. Attached you'll find a flyer <scroll down to see the flyer> that you might find useful to alert your divers to the lionfish and help collect observations in case this thing passes our doorstep. For further information:

http://www.caribbeanfmc.com/LIONFISH/lionfish.htm
Lionfish Invasion: Super Predator Threatens Caribbean Coral Reefs
NOAA National Ocean Service Education: Lionfish Discovery Story

Best regards
Mark

September 14, 2009

Today a Lionfish sighting was reported from Aruba on the coral-list by Monique Grol, a marine biologist of the University of Nijmegen who has worked on Aruba. On further inquiry she provided the following details:
The Lionfish was reported to Monique by an experienced dive master - whom she knows and feels is reliable - of dive shop Unique Watersports.
He saw it at Harbour reef, Aruba, at a depth of 15 m (45 ft), close to the bottom underneath a block of coral. According to the dive master it was a large adult, about the size of an adult scorpionfish (i.e.
probably about 30 cm). There is no photo available, hopefully someone there can go back and verify the sighting with a photograph. I will keep you all updated if I hear more.

Best,
Paul

--
Paul C. Hoetjes
Senior Policy Advisor
Department of Environment & Nature (MINA) Ministry of Public Health & Social Development (VSO) Schouwburgweg 26 (APNA building) Curaçao Netherlands Antilles

Attachments

• Lionfish.jpg
    Lionfish.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 441
I guess I'll bring a spear with me in October, just in case. I wonder if Sunshine would prepare it for dinner or if I'd have to do it myself?

Are the DM's being encouraged to capture or kill them? I guess their proliferation is inevitable.

Aruba Lionfish Update - Please read and remember to report all sighting!

Thanks and safe diving!
Bryan

September 18, 2009

Hi everyone,

Byron Boekhoudt, Coastal Zone Management coordinator of Aruba, reports that yesterday diveshop Unique Sports on Aruba went back to the spot where a lionfish had been reported last week and was able to locate and capture it. People from the Aruba fisheries department (DLVV) were alerted and picked up the fish. Byron Boekhoudt will arrange to take samples of the fish for DNA analysis through the REEF organization, who are working with experts to analyze genetic material from Lionfish from all over the Caribbean and Western Atlantic to establish the relationships between local populations.

The captured lionfish (see pictures below) was estimated to measure about 20 cm from the tip of its mouth to the fork of its tail. It is now temporarily on display at Buccaneer restaurant, who kindly cooperated and provided their aquarium to keep it until everything is ready to euthanize it and prepare the DNA samples according to the protocol provided by REEF. Only four months ago REEF held a very timely workshop in Bonaire to prepare for the coming of the lionfish in the Dutch Caribbean islands.

Lionfish are considered a dangerous pest (invasive species) because they are not native to the Caribbean, reproduce quickly, have no natural enemies on the Caribbean reefs (except for large groupers which are practically extinct because of overfishing), and devour large amounts of small and juvenile fish dramatically reducing recruitment of new reef fish such as snappers, groupers, grunts and parrotfish. They also have sharp highly venomous spines that cause excruciating pain when stung, and in exceptional cases can even cause death in humans. Lionfish started their conquest of the Caribbean in 1992, presumably after having been released or escaped frorm an aquarium in Florida. First they spread northwards along the coast of the US. Ten years later they jumped to the Bahamas, a few years later to Cuba, and in just the past two years spread among all the northern islands of the Caribbean and Central America. A map of their progression can be found at the followoing website: lionfish progression

Because lionfish spread by dispersal of larvae that can travel great distances in the sea currents, and they live down to depths of 175 m (600 ft), it is practically impossible to completely eradicate them once they are established, with new larvae continuously coming in from distant locations. The only practicable response is to control their numbers by capturing them as soon as they are spotted. They are easily caught using two hand nets, and they are good to eat.

Best,
Paul C. Hoetjes
Senior Policy Advisor
Department of Environment & Nature (MINA)
Ministry of Public Health & Social Development (VSO)
Schouwburgweg 26 (APNA building)
Curaçao
Netherlands Antilles

Attachments

• Lionfish 1.jpg
    Lionfish 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Lionfish 2.jpg
    Lionfish 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 101
Harbor reef is near the capital, was hoping that one just recently hopped off a ship and that it was the only one!

Any updates on sightings??

Been down there on several trips for the past 3 yrs, averaging about 25-30 hrs of free diving/photography(max depth 35-40 ft) in the course of 10 days, and never encountered any.

Back
Top Bottom