Lionfish... threat, menace, or just something new to amuse you while diving ?

Lionfish: threat or amusement?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#14 - declare them an endangered species (rumoured to have aphrodisiac properties) and ban all trade in and hunting of lionfish. The black market, sensing a potential windfall, will begin a lionfish trade in earnest, selling to aquariums worldwide as well as to those looking for a little "boost." The problem will be taken care of in no time. It might even give the rhino a break from being hunted...
Brilliant! :thumb:

I LOVE what Cozumel is attempting, and belive it's the best choice of action. Groupers are known to eat lionfish, but in the Virgin Islands, they don't know it YET. Presently, we are supporting an organization known as CORE, (Caribbean Oceanic Restoration and Education) and professionally and safely marking all lionfish, then sending trained divers to kill. The fish are then dna tested and disected to see what they are eating. So far, so good! We were prepared and ready for them to come and have a plan in action. The data collected is being well used, but eventually, will be enough. Training our groupers, eels, sharks, etc, is an excellent idea. LOVE the endangered comment too. Tell the locals they are good eating, and there will be no problem'mon!!! They'll get rid of them quicker than they did the groupers (which are still on the endangered list). To sit back and do nothing is stupid. They do not belong here, yet they are. Eventually (but not in our life time) it will all work out. Our reefs are too important to us to do nothing!

I just offered to help CORE when I'm on STX in November. Looking forward to some lionfish sashimi.

I LOVE what Cozumel is attempting, and belive it's the best choice of action. Groupers are known to eat lionfish, but in the Virgin Islands, they don't know it YET. Presently, we are supporting an organization known as CORE, (Caribbean Oceanic Restoration and Education) and professionally and safely marking all lionfish, then sending trained divers to kill. The fish are then dna tested and disected to see what they are eating. So far, so good! We were prepared and ready for them to come and have a plan in action. The data collected is being well used, but eventually, will be enough. Training our groupers, eels, sharks, etc, is an excellent idea. LOVE the endangered comment too. Tell the locals they are good eating, and there will be no problem'mon!!! They'll get rid of them quicker than they did the groupers (which are still on the endangered list). To sit back and do nothing is stupid. They do not belong here, yet they are. Eventually (but not in our life time) it will all work out. Our reefs are too important to us to do nothing!

It isn't all of Cozumel doing it.... only a few dive shops. :(
I think it is the only thing that will help the issue.

simple answer-----kill em all......whenever possible, lol

-----kill em all......whenever possible, lol

That's exactly the point! It's impossible to kill them all! Thus won't work... It's simple... :cool2:

Laura, I'm curious... Is there any scientific evidence that Groupers, eels, etc... in your area can actually learn new feeding behaviour through conditioning like this? I'm just wondering because it would be essential for this to have a shot at working. Fish aren't exactly known as the most intellingent animals and they could very well be just opportunistic feeding off what the divers are giving them and not learning/ changing their feeding behaviour at all. On the other hand, they can learn stuff so it is possible... I really have no idea about this, which is why I wondered if any research into this question has been done? Whatever, I hope it works... :popcorn:

Cheers!:coffee:

St. Croix started the CORE Program. Who are diving with? There are a few shops there that are doing the lionfish dives. Thanks for helping!
I don't know yet, I contacted CORE and they said they'd get back to me. The friend I'm visiting down there has to work many of the days of my visit, and it would be so cool to help thin the herd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom