Liveaboard choice: Turks and Caicos or St. Kitts & Saba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going for a trip in January and trying to decide between these two. Both are Explorer boats, same # of days, similar travel convenience, etc. Saba/St. Kitts is cheaper, so I'm leaning that way, but would pay more for the diving if it's better in T&C. Never been to either, but have done numerous liveaboards (e.g. Agressor Belize, Mike Ball in Australia). We tend to like the bigger critters - sharks, rays, octopuses, turtles, etc. vs. the teensy macro stuff. Suggestions?

I'd expect you would see more big stuff in T&C, especially sharks. I wasn't impressed at all with the diving around St Kitts, and Saba didn't go well for us. (They had recently dredged the harbor at Saba and much area around it was covered in silt, conditions were poor and didn't allow much diving further from the harbor, and the mooring was failing on the only really good site we did so we couldn't do it again.)

I haven't been on T&C Explorer but I believe it's a much nicer boat. Caribbean Explorer II is an older boat without as much space and I found it uncomfortable, particularly because there is no interior dining room or lounge. Part of the upper deck is used as the dining room and enclosed with plastic, supposedly has AC but they didn't seem to use it so meals were always sticky, with you stuck to the vinyl seats. Rest of the upper deck was the sundeck. So not much place to hang out besides your cabin. (Made worse on our trip because there were 4 obnoxious drunks on the boat.) Crew was great, and we didn't crash into the island when a mooring broke, so there's that.)

Presumably Saba has gotten better, and that's what attracts people to the itinerary, besides cheap. But I don't think the boat has changed, so a matter of you get what you pay for with the boat.

I've done both several times. I'd recommend T&C.

I've done both as well. While I really enjoyed St. Kitts and Saba (2X), I would lean towards the T&C for comfort, overall diversity of sea life and dive sites. Crew were great on both boats as was the food. Also, both boats used to offer the TDI solo course if this has ever interested you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom