Liveaboard Preparation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When you're prepping for a liveaboard trip, what are some of the maybe-not-so-obvious things that you pack to prep for your trip?
Here are some things that have been really helpful to me in the past, especially on the liveaboards that don't touch land once they leave:

1. spare O-rings
2. spare fin strap
3. spare reg parts
4. Navionics app with chart area downloaded (it works great with no cell reception and no wifi as long as you already have the chart downloaded. I track my trips inside the app so I always know where I went!)
5. mask box (to keep my mask from getting stepped on and crushed)
6. micro chips for GoPro (since I won't have a chance to empty them onto a computer until I get back)

What have you found to be helpful?

Short multi-outlet extension cord. Outlets can be in short supply and located inconveniently when you need to charge electronics. I mad my own by shortening a 3-way 2-prong extension cord down to about 2feet with a replacement plug. Enabled me to share one plug/voltage adapter as well.

Even if you only have one device it can let you share with someone else.

Over-the-counter med.s & related that you want to have. Includes swimmer's ear drops to dry the ears as a preventive measure, triple antibiotic ointment for scrapes, for me 24 hour Sedafed and Flonase to help keep me equalizing well, lycra socks were recommended to cut down on chafing with repetitive dives so I bought a pair, spare computer batteries & ideally take 2 computers so if one craps out you're covered, a means of backing up your photos in case your camera & media card flood (for me that's an iPad mini with Apple camera connection kit, but your mileage may vary), and people have recommended ear plugs in case you're around a snorer.

I picked up a small 'Rite in the Rain' notebook to jot down notes during dive briefings, & after dives for logging back home, since I needn't worry about it getting wet (not saying I can write on it wet, but I can after it dries out).

Richard.

Cheap plastic clamps...

k2-_ed2c379f-b528-40c9-9483-6d553bfa2030.v1.jpg

You can get a bucket full of them for like $9 at Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart.

Great for hanging up a t-sirt, keeping your hat from blowing away while you're in the water, clipping the window curtain in your room open/closed, etc, etc.

Indispensible when trying to dry all your gear on the last day without losing anything overboard.

I don't care how many you bring... you'll be one short!

I love the clips and the extension cord. I would have never thought of those! I was thinking more along the equipment side of things..I bring an extra mask, 2 computers, and a full reg set. The full reg set allows me to swap parts down to a mouthpiece.

Oh..and zip ties!

Short multi-outlet extension cord.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra few bucks to get an actual surge protector.

Boat generators cycle on and off, spike, etc. Likelihood of your electronic stuff getting zapped are far higher on a boat than in your house.

ALSO - please do NOT NOT NOT plug an extension cord with multiple items into an outlet in your cabin. (Or charge any gear there.) A fire on a boat isn't much fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom