Liveaboard Tips - Chu'uk Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know the boat didn't have rentals. That's just crazy. Never been on a boat including some very remote ones in Raja Ampat that didn't have a few spares. I never understood the reason for using a liveaboard in Chuuk anyway. The land based operators visit the exact same dive sites for a lot less money. All have rentals and spares that are almost always free with equipment failures. I couldn't afford to go diving if I needed an extra of everything and I'd sure have a hard time getting it all packed. I certainly can't afford to fly first class.
While I was there, one of the wrecks has a collapse that trapped a guide. Luckily the guest were able to get him out. GO ASAP.

The land based operators visit the exact same dive sites for a lot less money.

Sounds like a good thought, but when you the do the math, that logic actually fails. I won't repeat the "back of the napkin" analysis I posted here a few months ago but for an "apples to apples" comparison you come within about $150 for a week when you add everything up. (Truth be told you can't even do an "apples to apples" comparison since there's really no way to do 5 dives a day land-based.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay and diving from Blue Lagoon - and will stay there and dive with them again - but there's no comparison between the Truk Odyssey and land-based, regardless of price.

I didn't know the boat didn't have rentals. That's just crazy. Never been on a boat including some very remote ones in Raja Ampat that didn't have a few spares. I never understood the reason for using a liveaboard in Chuuk anyway. The land based operators visit the exact same dive sites for a lot less money. All have rentals and spares that are almost always free with equipment failures. I couldn't afford to go diving if I needed an extra of everything and I'd sure have a hard time getting it all packed. I certainly can't afford to fly first class.
While I was there, one of the wrecks has a collapse that trapped a guide. Luckily the guest were able to get him out. GO ASAP.

.....it is likely at least some of the divers might actually be 'working stiffs' who skimped/saved for a long time to be on their boat......so 1st-class/red carpet treatment ain't happening....so for us mere mortals, air travel weight IS an issue....moreover, this is a 'tech' trip...or at least a 'semi-tech' trip, requiring lots of toys......spare toys....heavy toys.... so I think it's bizarre for the boat to not have the needed items in rental.

While I like the Blue Lagoon as a motel/Inn., I really didn't like the restaurant at all; mediocre food served with mind-numbing slowness; it took no less that 1.5 hours to get a burger at lunch and about twice that for dinner.

The food on the Odyessy was great in contrast. And you could just jump off the boat to dive at your own pace.

Jack

I totally agree with the comments about Liveaboards. It's the only way to go if you can afford it. Every one I've been on did have spare parts and rentals however. I've been on 9 thus far. Paying full fare at a land based operation and eating all meals in "their" restaurant might cost similar amounts but there are many ways to save and discounts are almost always available. I'll still take a liveaboard almost every time however because of the convenience but Chuuk is one of the few places where the dives sites are the same regardless of operator. I was never on the Odyessy but I saw it almost daily and it looks great.

I personally wouldn't do 5 dives a day at Truk Lagoon but I guess I'm just an old conservative diver. I suppose my computer might let me do it though I never tried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom