Liveaboards in Aussie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where will you be travelling to??? if your going to be in queensland/brisbane (not GBR) then look up either Esperance Star and Big Cat Reality also.

Hi: For short trips I would recommend Pro Dive as the boat is great and the pricing is even better. For slightly longer trips then Taka is a great choice and it does the cod hole also. For 6-8 nights the Undersea Explorer is great and divers always come back happy. I could give you some pricing and more information if you want to email me at: dolphinadventures2004@yahoo.com

THanks,
Mary Jane

Hi,

I made 2 livabord trips with Nimrod Explorer out of Cairns. One in July to Ribbon Reefs and Osprey Reef (snorkeling with dwarf minke whales) and a second (shorter trip) to Cod Hole just some weeks ago. What I liked about Nirmod Explorer is that is a catamaran (more stable on the water, huge dive platform,..) with maximun 18 guests unlike other vessels with have up to 24 guests and more.

Depends on what you are looking for.
Mike Ball is also operating on the GBR. one of its trips leaves from Townsville going to Yongala and Coral Sea. Dived the Yongala recently and it was excellent.

You could have a look at following too
http://www.explorerventures.com

Have fun
Itsme

btw.. if you would like an encounter with The White Pointers... then have a look on the webside of Rodney Fox. www.rodneyfox.com.au but you should book long time in advance.... most of the trips are fully booked months in advance.

Good afternoon:

We have just booked a trip in January 2006 with Mike Ball, the Ultimate package through Lynn,Oz Dive, and she was just wonderful.

Have you booked yet?

lkc

Mike Ball gives a nice trip as long as you watch his prices, especially for Americans. I think too that Pro-Dive offers some good trips out of Port Douglas. I was on the "Diversity" a couple of years ago, a 70ft.cat booked through Pro_Dive' We went to Osprey, Lizard Island area and Ribbons

Just got back from a trip to the GBR, can't compare liveaboards as only went on the one while I was there, but I was very impressed with the trip I did. Did the Fly/Dive Cod Hole trip with Mike Ball. 12 dives 3 nights from Lizard Island to Cairns.

The crew was excellent - went out of their way to ensure that you had a great trip. The boat is getting a bit long in the tooth, but very stable and comfortable. Nitrox available, good food, small cabins, but frankly who cares. I am only sleeping in the cabin, I ended up with a "Premium" cabin and would not bother unless you really really want a private bathroom.

The diving was excellent, you can dive whatever profile you want, we had a range of divers from just certified to my buddy who had 50 years diving experience and stopped logging dives years ago. I gather that they are more expensive than others, but if possible check for standby rates, I booked at the last minute and took the last spot on the boat at about 70% of the posted price.

18 divers on the boat with as I recall 8 crew. The dive deck gets a bit hectic and the two best sites were a bit crowded with 18 divers in the water, but after diving on both these sites a number of us went back in the water to snorkle - just could not get enough.

I've just come into this discussion because we are interested in diving the GBR next year.

So keep those liveaboard recommendations coming!

Also, which is the best area to dive & at what time of the year?

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom