Lobster or Crab?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This morning I was in about 15 fsw down in the muck of a Maine coastal community harbor doing a circular search pattern for a mooring. Viz was zilch, I could only see the glass of my mask and dingy pea soup beyond. So the search was mostly by feel. One hand on the spool I was using to reel out form the anchor and one hand sweeping along the muck for the bottom chain or top chain or mooring itself. I'd occasionally grab a clam or a stick and quickly let go. Was going along decently sweeping one arm out, when something snapped on my little finger. Startled, I shook my hand free (my yelp of surprise) sounded loud even under water! Found the mooring shortly after that and marked it and made my way back to the harbor master's boat. Once I got out, I noticed my dive glove was torn and my little finger bleeding, not bad but enough to break out some band-aids from the first aid kit. First time I'd ever been snapped (or pinched or whatever). Talking it over with the harbor master and some other divers, some thought it was a big crab maybe a Jonah others thought it a lobster using its claw on me. I'm not sure but it made for a great debate over some beers!

I heard a good sized lobster can amputate a finger pretty easily, in which case you were lucky (if it was a lobster).

California spiny lobsters don't have claws obviously but their jaws are powerful and I know a couple of guys who have lost the tip of a finger grabbing a big bug.

Great story! Beats the endless hair splitting discussions LOL.

I heard a good sized lobster can amputee a finger pretty easily, in which case you were lucky (if it was a lobster).

California spiny lobsters don't have claws obviously but their jaws are powerful and I know a couple of guys who have lost the tip of a finger grabbing a big bug.

Great story! Beats the endless hair splitting discussions LOL.
The thread is young, my friend. 😄

Only in New England you hear these stories :)

(Picture with a 20lb lobster caught on the Chester Polling in Gloucester, MA, circa 1999)

BZM with 20lb lobster 230726 B.jpg

That would be a monster to see underwater

When you say "snapped" depending on how fast the "snap" was, it's possible it was a mantis shrimp in the mud. More likely a lobster or crab if it was a more of a pinch and less of a pop. Swimming crab species like Lady and Blue crabs tend to be more aggressive and inhabit sandy/muddy areas like you described.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom