Local Dive Buddy for Tampa Shore Dive, Sept 13 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. J W

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be in Tampa for work and will have an evening to kill, and if something can be worked out I'll bring my gear down. Ideally, doing an evening shore dive or something would be cool. I'll be there for work a few times in the next couple of months, so getting to know local divers would be fun.

The nearest shore diving from Tampa is in Anna Marie Island, Sugar Barge or Spanish Rocks. They are both pretty meh, and over an hour away by car (like easily an hour to the exit and another 30 minutes to AMI). Beyond that you have Venice Shark Tooth diving, but that is probably 2 hours or more. And these times are from I75 in Tampa it can be much longer from downtown or from on base.

If you are here on a weekend you can also head up to one of the Florida Springs like Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Rainbow River, or Ginnie. Or if you are willing to pay there are boat dives that leave from Clearwater like 2 Shea/Tanks a Lot or a couple of others.

Yep. Agreed with the above. I've lived in the Tampa Bay area the vast majority of my life, and I've never done a shore dive. The depth slope in the gulf is quite shallow. You've got to go out 7 miles or so to get to 30 fsw.

2Shea/Tanks-a-Lot run good trips. I see them regularly at some of the popular (and some more unknown) dive spots in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom