Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK,

I'm retracting my prior assesment of Italian Food here in Hawaii. My Father and Grandfather owned an Italian Restaraunt in the 70s in Santa Cruz and I grew up enjoying this cooking on an almost nightly basis. SO...... I consider myself a bit of an expert when it comes to Italian.

The hands down BEST Italian food on the island is at Sabrina's. Small place with only 10 tables. Stefano and Sabrina are from Italy and have had the place for 7 years now. They shop locally and EVERY SINGLE dish is prepared from scratch! Michelle and I have been there twice now and it is crazy good! Call for reservation though, because those of us who are in the know realize it's impossible to get a table without one.

OK.... the secret is out. Let me know what you think. Go hungry and don't expect to get in and out in an hour. I suggest you bring a bottle of wine, order an antipasto and a salad (great fresh greens) when you have had time, take a look at the pasta's (most are homemade) then save room for a main dish (veal should be ordered ahead of time on the day before). Save room for tiramisu.

After you have been completely fed and every cell in your stomach is happy.... PM me and let me know what you think!

Gratzi!

Gabe

On the Big Island, try the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook. This is just like my grandmother used to cook. If you go on the weekends they serve ogo as an appetizer.

What I want to know is where can you find really good Chinese food on Oahu? We have yet to find a place we love. Tried Little Village in China Town, thought it was just OK. Like Happy Day quite a bit, but nothing we crave. The best we have found is a place called Pauoa Chop Suey (on Pauoa St.). Tasty and decently priced.

Any other suggestions?

And how about good Italian on Oahu?

SecondCoussens:
What I want to know is where can you find really good Chinese food on Oahu? We have yet to find a place we love. Tried Little Village in China Town, thought it was just OK. Like Happy Day quite a bit, but nothing we crave. The best we have found is a place called Pauoa Chop Suey (on Pauoa St.). Tasty and decently priced.

Any other suggestions?

And how about good Italian on Oahu?
I'd be keen on hearing about any good American Chinese on Maui, too... but not as American as Panda Express. :D

For pretty good Chinese on Oahu at decent prices, try Aiea Chop Suey on the bottom floor of the Aiea shopping center - next to Times super market. My family has been going their for years and been happy with both food and service. It's served family style.

KrisB - Next time we dive together up North here I'll have to introduce you to the Chinese seafood buffet ... no seafood in the buffet, but definitely a step (or two) up from Panda express. You can order seafood off the menu however. It's on Wainee st. across from McDonalds (In Anchor square but facing the ocean)

Aloha, Tim

For great plate lunch try HK Cafe on King St., 1 block beyond Eisenberg (makai side) in Mc Cully. They have great daily specials.
-Mark-

Sabrina's Restaurant 3036 Waialae Ave Honolulu, Hawaii 96816 (Kaimuki, East Oahu ...

okay...it's in my comfort zone, I will try it.

Places I think suck: (for the money...it's all better than my cooking)

Roy's

Kincaid's

Ryan's (used to be good)

Town is kinda nice in Kaimuki---I don't like those damn chairs (he opened a new place in town now) "Downtown Too" affordable lunches, locally grown ingredients just like Town. More torture furniture I noticed.

In fact, if you have hard metal chairs, you can forget about me.

I like Assagio's in Hawaii Kai (hmm, comfy chairs, water view)

Sugoi's in Kalihi (Behind DMV on Dillingham) has my favorite plate lunches (taste wise) - Garlic chicken is broke da' mouth. Dripping with garlic sauce ... just make sure you don't have any public speaking engagements afterwards or need to work in close quarters ... it's that good :wink:

The Mochiko chicken is good too, but their garlic chicken really is the best I've ever had.

Aloha, Tim

catherine96821:
Places I think suck: (for the money...it's all better than my cooking)

Roy's

Kincaid's

Ryan's (used to be good)

Ryan's and Kincaids are run by the same company. They also used to own Palamino's which was downtown. Kincaid's used to be better also. They're still pretty good for Happy Hour when their appetizers are half price and I think their drinks are also.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom