Log book signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am working on Dive Instructor rating and am required to have logged two hundred dives. Like most divers after a certain point I no longer got signatures. However, I did log my dives for the personal history and memory. Somehow as I got older I became a legend in my own mind and the log sort of reminds me of the actual dive, not the way I remember. As someone else pointed out you can see your dive profile change over the years; i.e., less weight less air consuption etc.

My dive instructor is the local dive shop owner has worked with me for several years and it has not been a problem with the log. I would be a little dubious if someone diving for less than two years came up with several hundred dives. So I would continue to keep the log and have a record.

I always maintain my own Dive-log - it's about the memories and also I put practical stuff in there so I will remember if I ever go back or someone else asks.

There are a few places in the World that will ask for an official signature and/or a stamp/logo of a dive shop, a dive-boat or air station document/receipt or official Dive Company letter documenting that you have been scuba diving in the last 6 months. If you don't have this they may require that your first dive is a check-out dive. They will tell you about this ahead of time. I knew about this and had a letter from my LDS. They told me the reason for this was that so many "1 x every few years" divers would come and these divers were not safe to dive alone.

By the way, where I was diving in Japan, they made it almost a ceremony of signing each others' log-book. We ate, drank tea, talked, and signed log-book. NO TIPPING ALLOWED in this very traditional setting. You put them i an awkward position if you tip, they have to give you back something of like value. Very interesting.

As others have mentioned, you sign your buddy's book and he signs yours.

Over the years I only have a few missed signatures, but have written the name of the person I dived with. Keeping a log is a good way to remember the good and bad times of past dives as well as key facts about weight used for certain wetsuits, weather conditions etc.

I sometimes sign my own if I forget to get a stamp/buddy/instructor signature at the time, or say we do a deep air dive and my buddy dies (joke). Nobody will notice/care. Logbook is mostly for your own reference as LV mentioned

Then it's better to get the page signed before the dive, just in case.

Then it's better to get the page signed before the dive, just in case.

I sometimes do that. Also, I don't take the book on a boat to make sure it stays dry. I use a jar with pencil & paper to write down the stats, then transfer the info. at home.

I log all of my dives but don't get signatures unless it is a special dive (200th, 300th, etc). If I am out of the country, I will use the dive op's stamp but mostly for the memories. I have never been asked to show my log book. I log fish and creatures I see, Bozo moments by other divers, water temps, amount of weight used when I change to a different exposure suit.

Never had anyone ask to see my book, have never asked for signatures, consider the log to be for me........

I've never had logs signed. I got my Luna computer after my 3rd OW dive, and it logs all my dives. I upload them to my computer and add comments and specific information like weight, etc. If someone really wanted a paper version, I'd print off those logs. The instructors at my LDS just ask to see my computer usually though if they really need to.

Well with 60+ dives you already (by standards) have enough dives to start almost any standard training. I believe but not too sure I think 60 is the number you can start Instructor training but I don't think any CD would take you with that few. Should be good for everything up thru Divemaster so no worries.

Like others said the log is mainly for you.

For a dive log to be recognized, the signatures should be notarized, citizenship verified, and criminal history checks completed OR you can just accept the fact that my signature is only as good as my word and just accept what I say or have written.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom