Long shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if anybody in the Oregon diving community knew about the research vessel Hero which was located at Newport, OR from 2000-2003. The story goes that the ship fouled both bow anchors to submarine cables on the bottom of Yaquina Bay some time during those years and cut them loose un-buoyed. Not clear if they are still there. They were big 814-lb Baldt anchors. Was wondering if they were ever recovered?

Reactions: g2
Those two which were transported back to Maine might not be the originals, the ones lost in Yaquina Bay, this is according to one of HERO's earlier owners. Just checking to see if any Oregon divers helped find the ones fouled in the submarine cables.

Interesting.

I suggest you send an email to Bill Spindler, the unofficial USAP historian. He might know.

Bill is super friendly. He runs the R/V Hero web site but I couldn't find anything there about the anchors. By the look of it, the salvaged ones are the originals. If not, I might be interested in helping with a search and recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom