Looe Key: pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
After diving Molasses (Key Largo) I can't say that Looe Key is better. We were told (first time on Looe Key reefs) by the DM that we were seeing "better than typical" visibility - 45 feet. It seems that the silt out of the Gulf may be the culprit because the Busch was covered with it.

I'm forming the opinion that a good day on Looe Key reefs is not as good as an average or below average day on Molassas reef. We've been on Molassas countless times, so I may have to dive Looe a couple more times before I can say for sure.

Looe Key pros - Key West, which even locals have to do every 4 or 5 years (with visitors if possible), and the Looe Key Tiki Bar at the Looe Key Dive Resort. New eats in KW include the Key Lime Pie on a Stick (chocolate dipped pie slice frozen) and an amazing coconut covered flatbread. Everthing else is pretty much the same as my last trip about 10 years ago. Nice pontoon boat & good crew. Three dives for $75 (gear, weights & tanks included) and only $75/night at the only hotel around.

Looe Key cons - the resort is a DIVE resort, and not up to the standards of most non-divers. Old old old with gauze-thin sheets, barely adequate A/C and that musty smell of countless wet-gear and towel piles drying inside... I LOVE THAT odor but most wouldn't appreciate it.

The "resort" is just a dive hangout but the people are great (none better than Pat to make you feel at home and cared for) and the bar is EXCELLENT. We found few local dining options other than bar-food, though 10 miles either way will get you into new territory.

Saw all the usual reef fish, 2 Carribean reef sharks and a lot of longnecks with protuding limes.

The viz is usually lower in looe key because of tidal actions between the gulf and atlantic but the last time i dove there i saw reef sharks and yes a 14ft tiger shark.

It was nice swimming with the sharks - never seen ONE here in LBTS (except for nurse sharks). Only a few on our boat saw the sharks, however, and the others were very disappointed.
deeper thoughts:
The viz is usually lower in looe key because of tidal actions between the gulf and atlantic but the last time i dove there i saw reef sharks and yes a 14ft tiger shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom