Look this way you *(&(*&(*^ - Juvenile ManySpotted Sweetlips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
Many, many frustrating attempts over several trips to get a reasonable, in focus, full frame image of this fish.

This is a juvenile Juvenile Many-Spotted Sweetlips (Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides). Books tell you the juvies swim in a strange undulating fashion.

That is not the half of it. They swim facing towards the reef, rock or other object in a jerky, quick and unpredictable manner. They only look at you long enough to tease you. They are skittish and small.

Finally I got a couple of images on a shore dive off Kata Beach in Phuket, Thailand. Makes all that time I spent almost worthwhile....

2006-03-11-21-34-42.jpg

2006-03-11-21-35-19.jpg

2006-03-11-21-34-58.jpg

While these aren't 'blow it up poster size', they will be appreciated by anyone who has ever tried to photograph this fish.

Nikon D2X, 60mm+diopter, F16, 1/125, dual Inon 220, Subal Housing.

Enjoy,
M

Those are awesome photos!! Thank you for sharing them!

Jennifer

We had similar problems with juvi spotted drums, trip report and photos coming soon.

Way cool pictures. Being a mostly fresh water diver, you scared me with your thread title tho. :11: eyebrow

hope to see one "get one" someday!...very nice pics.

Good catch! we have fish that do that kind of dance here too....I don't waste me time on them though....between their dance and the shutter time of the 5050....forget it.

If this is a juv. what does the grown up look like?

Great shots. I especially like the second one.
I know how hard they are to photograph. I only saw one on my trip to the Philippines and only got one halfway decent shot of it.

I've only seen one of these in an aquarium but the way it moved was mesmerizing! All 3 shots look good to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom