Looking at Oceanic Atom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP:
The same thing has happened to me. I thought it was the battery and replaced it with a new one, but I am still having the stinkin' thing reset on me above water with the new battery.

Any ideas????

Get it back to us. PM me if you need help.

Best,

Chris

TeqP:
The same thing has happened to me. I thought it was the battery and replaced it with a new one, but I am still having the stinkin' thing reset on me above water with the new battery.

Any ideas????
This was happening to me. I replaced the battery five times because the low battery indicator kept coming on and it kept resetting itself. It ended up being a bad batch of batteries from someplace I think. I purchased some batteries from LP and it hasn't been an issue since.

Thought about sending it back and getting warranty repair done on it, but since it's been OK for the last 10 dives or so, I'm leaving well enough alone. I only use it as a backup bottom timer and dive recorder now anyway.

Chris

Vie:
I was using a borrowed Atom last week (r2D); after ten repetitive dives, the Atom reset itself during my surface interval to the 1st of January 2004 and erased all the nitrogen loading info...
I posted earlier about the same issue I was having with my Oceanic Atom. A day later I received a PM from Doug Krause (Oceanic Marketing Manger). He asked me to send in my Oceanic Atom and he would send me a brand new Atom. I had asked Doug if he wanted me to send in all my original items with the watch and he told me just to send in the watch. I sent in the watch only as requested by Doug. I just got back from a business trip and was pleasantly surprised to find a well packaged box from Oceanic. Doug and his company sent me a BRAND NEW Oceanic Atom along with all the accessories that would be included if this item was purchased from a dealer, without the transmitter. I was smiling from ear to ear at the sight of this package and tested out the watch. As I was getting ready to throw the shipping box away, I fished through the box and found a cool floppy hat as well. So now I was thinking to myself, that this was just like Christmas :D. So I sent a PM to Doug last night expressing my gratitude and appreciation for him taking the time to help a customer out. If this isn’t total customer satisfaction, then I don’t know what customer satisfaction is about.
I have expressed my appreciation privately to Doug, but would like to express it publicly as well. With so many manufacturers seeming to only care about making the sale and not continuing to assist their customers, it is awesome to see that there are some good companies with excellent employees that want to make sure their customers are totally satisfied. Kudos to Doug and Oceanic! I know there are some other companies out there that treat their customers in the same manner, but unfortunately not all companies are this way. Let this be a lesson to other manufacturers that are interested in having repeat/loyal customers.
I for one am an Extremely Satisfied Oceanic customer and will continue to purchase their products. I mentioned to Doug that I will wear my new hat on my trip to Roatan next week along with my Atom and let everyone know of my great experience with Doug and Oceanic.
Doug, again thank you for all of your efforts in helping me out.

Phil

I also have an Atom and have no issues with the size nor the fact that you have to press a button to see the amount of air left. I maybe check that 2 times a dive anyways, not an issue for me. The size might fool a lot people, but underwater when you are looking AT the gauge it is quite nice and large enough to see. After all you will most likely lift the device to you mask and look at it, not just glance down and hope to read the numbers.

Overall a very good computer with ample features and multitude of settings for gases as well as conservatism (a big + in my books)

I too have been using the Atom for some time and have had no probelms reading the display. I have just returned from a week of Tech Diving with Dan Crowell and I used my atom for gas switch ect. and had no issues with it. Of course however, the dives were planned out using tables ect. first. If however you need reading glasses generally and are in that "age group" larger digits may be easier,... or you could get a pair of those gauge readers and save your self a few bucks by purchasing the atom 1.0 instead of waiting for the larger display available on the VT3 that will be released soon. :wink::wink:

Ok, after reading through the posts about the pros and cons for the Atom I think I'll give it a try. I'm leaving for Cozumel in 2 weeks and swore to myself that I'd get a computer before my next trip. I guess I've procrastinated long enough :D.

P.S.: Two of the biggest things that have convinced me to trust the Atom after reading the horror stories about flooding and what not has been Oceanic's public showing here that they'll make things right. And the repeated love letters to Scubatoys posted here as well about them also working to make sure the divers here are satisfied ( and the price is looking pretty good as well ).

I knew I wanted AI and something small enough to be worn on the wrist. My budget was under $1000.

Hello!
This is my first post here, sorry for my funny english, it's not my mother tongue. Hope I still can make myself understood.

2 weeks ago, I got me the Atom - mainly influenced by the comments here - and tried it out on 8 dives last weekend.

Now I wonder if I'm just to stupid to understand that thing, because I can not believe that anybody here is happy with the atom, if things are, as it seems to me.

After gearing up, I wanted to check the tank pressure. The only way I found is to press the mode button 5 times and then press and hold the select button for 2 seconds. Still I have to wait another few seconds to see eventually the tank pressure. Is there really no easier way to check the tank pressure on surface? Is there any reason, why I have to scroll through so "important" functions as alternate time, countdown timer, stop watch and daily alarm, every time I want to put it into dive mode, supposedly the only function what most people buy this watch for?

From the reply from Larry here, I was aware that I have to press a button to see the tank pressure while diving, but I understood that I will always see the dive time remaining, whatever of ND limit or Air time remaining will be the shortest. But the main display always showed the ND limit only, even when "Air time remaining" is shorter. The "Air time remaining" - just as the tank pressure - is only displayed when pressing the A button. Moreover, this display mode is only temporary and reverts to the main display with the ND limit after a few seconds. Is there really no display mode, where I can continuously see the "Dive time remaining"?

I did not hear any audible alarm under water, although I should have been alerted at least 2 -3 times on each dive (Turn pressure, "VIEW AIR", low air time). From some user comments, I was aware tat the alarms are "rather quiet", but I did not expect that I can not hear anything. On a night dive, I saw the LED blinking, which is supposed to go together with the alarm, but I still could not recognize the audible alarm. And yes, I am sure the audible alarm was enabled - and my last hearing check is not to long ago. There was no more surrounding noise than from my bubbeling and the moving gravel, so I wonder if I have overlooked some possibility to turn the alarm louder.

Later at home, when I wanted to download the data, I found only data of the last 2 dives. Only then I realized that I overlooked to change the default sampling rate of 2 seconds. The manual does not mention it, but the Oceanic webpage explains that with 2 seconds sampling rate, the memory lasts only for 2-3 dives. Ok, say it was my fault. Luckily I have my 8 years old citizen dive watch, which keeps the log data of the last 6 dives - with a 5 second sampling rate. That means the Atom has about the same memory capacity as it was state of the art 8 years ago. Is really everybody happy with that? And there should be a possibility to monitor the memory usage, isn't it?

For some reason, I expected the software to show me a nice analysis of my air consumption. But nothing like that, only in and out pressure. The chart shows only a simple depth over time graph, that's it.

For to mention also the things I like:
I found the size just perfect. So small that its never in the way and can be worn all the time during a dive holiday, but still big enough to be easily read.
I actually don't need nitrox and 3 transmitter capability, but it's still nice to know that I could.
The wireless transmitter worked flawless, i did not note any interruption.
It's remarkable that it comes with the USB interface, however I had similar problems making it work, like many others here.

I really hope that somebody here could clarify things for me, but having read the manual forward and backward many times (except pages 70-75), I can hardly believe I completely overlooked something.

sascha

sascha.s:
After gearing up, I wanted to check the tank pressure. The only way I found is to press the mode button 5 times and then press and hold the select button for 2 seconds. Still I have to wait another few seconds to see eventually the tank pressure. Is there really no easier way to check the tank pressure on surface?

There is an easier way - look at your SPG.

Back
Top Bottom