Looking for a good laptop backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this one
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=RG0322

It's an awesome backpack and I carry around lots of gadgets and crap. I really love that it's expandable, there's this mesh like expansion pocket where I carry around my camcorder if I want. My laptop has a 15.3" screen and is pretty wide and it fits great. Open up the top zipper and there's a padded slot where your laptop goes.

My wife and I travel a bit...annually, roughly 50,000 miles+ domestic and a couple of hops to Europe every year. I teach and consult, and my wife is a network administrator who needs remote access. So we drag laptops with us wherever we go.

At first, beacuse the classes and presentations were all PowerPoint, I wanted to make really sure the laptop got there intact, so I placed it in a Pelican 1520 case. Although truly the best protection (I sized the case to fit with a minimum of 1.5 inches of foam all arround) it is a bit of a boat anchor, especially on fun trips where it is not so mission critical, just used for email, etc.

So I picked up a backpack (from somewhere, I don't remember, maybe CDW) that had a side loading slot. The first time I saw the zipper working its way down and the computer starting to fall out, I retired it on the spot.

The replacement backpack was from Codi. Very well built, actually seemed to have been laid out by a real road warrior, and lots of nice features, like no-slip grips on the shoulder straps, etc. Way, way not as expensive as Brenthaven or Targus, and it was better suited to my style of travel. Their web site is here.

As convenient as a backpack is, with a laptop, charger, a book or two, etc, it began to load down my shoulders. So after looking a few wheeled computer bags, like the ones from Targus, Brenthaven, Codi, and TravelPro, I was not satisfied with the layout. They had a clunky design and not much interior space for what you'd expect from the outside dimensions. Not to mention, every one of them practically screams, "Laptop inside! Steal me!"

We settled on taking our padded sleeves from the backpack, placing the laptop inside the sleeve and put them into a TravelPro Crew4 Rolling Tote. I believe this has been replaced by the FlitePro3 Rolling Tote, which looks pretty identical. These have been our favorites, especially at the airports with miles of walking like AMS, and actually a lot better than the backpacks. We've been using these for about a year and a half, and if you have other wheeled luggage, they also have a cool strap that lets you "stack" the luggage.

These little bags don't look like they have laptops in them, and I have room for a couple of books, my Bose headphones, etc. Most laptop sleeves like the Sumdex are available for only about $20 from places like EBags, and are side-loading, so I don't even have to take the sleeve out of the bag at TSA checkpoints.

However, if I'm going where I have to teach a high-dollar class, or make a consulting presentation, I always revert back to the Pelican case, as unweidly and ugly as it seems.

It just depends on what your goals are.

All the best, James

Reading the post above reminded me that maybe I should add that I fly well over 100,000 miles a year and the Targus Matrix is the backpack I use and it still functions like it's brand new. (I've only spent 6 nights in my own bed in 2004 as of this date!)

Living on the road is a miserable existence, isn't it? We're lucky, at least our cats still remember who we are.

All the best, James

fdog:
Living on the road is a miserable existence, isn't it? We're lucky, at least our cats still remember who we are.

All the best, James

I have a dog who stays with a friend when I'm on the road. I think the dog has disowned me.

I have the $50 targus backpack case and really like it. The one nice thing about Targus is the warranty. In the decade that I've been draggin laptops around airports and factories, I've always had a targus bag of some kind. Anything that's ever broken, straps, zippers, etc. - they've either fixed or replaced. I had one bag that was really bad. Held together with duct tape and wire ties. I sent it back and they sent me a new one - with an upgraded padded strap and everything!

-Frank

Hi folks,

In case anyone references this thread in the future, I'll put in my thanks for previous recommendations and add my own for the Bihn Monolith #2. The entire research/ordering/shipping process was very streamlined. I was impressed that my uncommon Toshiba Satellite iteration was listed on the website among those that would fit in the #2--a definite issue since the dimensions were borderline for this beast!

The quality is excellent and the unit fits like a glove in my old LL Bean backpack's center compartment.

Good stuff.

Regards,

Not sure what kind of 'feel' youre looking for but for an EXTREMELY high 'coolness quotient', you might want to look into 'Crumpler' bags.

www.crumplernyc.com

tho you can look IN the bags in the main site at

www.crumpler.com.au

Regardless of how they may 'look' they are serious bags.. with well padded straps, heavy duty nylon buckles, hmm backpacks have chest straps.. and .. er.. they come in many other colours other than black.. okok They may not be for the DIR types :wink:

I have 2 messenger bags for everyday use, small pouch for my digital camera ,a big camera bag for my SLR rig, and a laptop bag. model 'sheep scarer' .

Best thing about them is that they look great and they do not shout 'CAMERA!' or 'LAPTOP!'.

Heck, even if youre not interested. go check out the sites.. theyre cool . :)

Truly is coolness RagDoll! Might have to pick o[ one of the messenger-type computer bags for around town.

All the best, James

ragdoll:
Not sure what kind of 'feel' youre looking for but for an EXTREMELY high 'coolness quotient', you might want to look into 'Crumpler' bags.

www.crumplernyc.com

tho you can look IN the bags in the main site at

www.crumpler.com.au

Regardless of how they may 'look' they are serious bags.. with well padded straps, heavy duty nylon buckles, hmm backpacks have chest straps.. and .. er.. they come in many other colours other than black.. okok They may not be for the DIR types :wink:

I have 2 messenger bags for everyday use, small pouch for my digital camera ,a big camera bag for my SLR rig, and a laptop bag. model 'sheep scarer' .

Best thing about them is that they look great and they do not shout 'CAMERA!' or 'LAPTOP!'.

Heck, even if youre not interested. go check out the sites.. theyre cool . :)

Those were GREAT websites, ragdoll, thanks!

I am still undecided on bags, but I have investigated closely the Binh bag and the Codi bag. They both seem to have one large enough for my clunky laptop. I am not sure about the Targus, they don't seem to advertise what laptops fit in them, just their dimensions, which makes me a little wary...

I still have some time, but need to order something in the next few weeks... decisions, decisions :unsure:

Thanks for keeping the tips coming!

Back
Top Bottom