Looking For A Mask With A Better Field Of View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatRob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm finally getting annoyed with not having any peripheral vision while UW. I currently have a Sherwood mask, Can't remember which model maybe a Magnum 2 window, or an older model, I can look this up when I get home...

Problem is I can't see any of my equipment unless I pull it into the FOV of my mask! That means SPG, D rings, Octo, all have to be located on feel alone. Granted that is useful diving up here, since visibility can be as low as a foot or two at times, and by feel is the only way to do things... but for the other times when we have fantastic 30 foot views, I'd feel so much more aware of the environment, that I think I would really benefit from a better viewport.

So in order to overcome this tunnel vision effect I'd like to solicit suggestions as to makes / models of masks that offer a better field of view.

Granted there's The HydroOptix, but that looks overly complex, is there a middle ground?

Have not seen any recent posts on this subject, so what's the status quo?
Over to you.... Thanks

I own 2 Cressi-Sub Big Eye (there are several models in this series), one I use, the other as back-up. It is tear-drop shaped (downward). Before, I was in similar situation as you. This mask allows me to see what I have clipped on my BCD from chest down (it was amazing). Now, I won't use any other masks. Read the reviews:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=180781&highlight=Cressi-sub+big+eyes

LDS price is around $50-60. Leisurepro has them for around $40 (sometimes $30 when on sale)
tlessard on this board had a brand new pair for sale a few days back for $30 - not sure if still available:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=185304&highlight=Cressi-sub+big+eyes

Good luck and dive safely.

You can also try a Sherwood ORACLE or a TITAN. They are similar to the Big Eyes.
C-Dawg

Cheers all
my buddy has a pair of big-eyes he's willing to let me try, so I guess I'll give them a shot, then jump onto Lpro pronto!

If your eyes work in the Hydrooptix, you'll be hard pressed to find a mask with 2/3 it's field of view.

I can actually see my own fins as I kick when I turn my head to the right or left with my mask.

Aloha, Tim

If you happen to be nearsighted the HYDROPTICS mask are incredible. It's the only mask i will use when in diving on scuba. I haven't had the chance to use it freediving for abalone, YET. ken

It seems a little counterintuitive but I got a low volume (small) mask, and I have a wider field of vision than I did with my older larger mask. the trick is that the really low volume mask is so small that the lens is pretty close to my eyeballs, so even though it looks smaller when sitting on a shelf when I put it on my head I can see better to each side and down.

Mark Vlahos

Be sure to compare field of view underwater! What you see looking through a mask in air doesn't take into account the light bending as it changes from glass to water. You may be surprised how little difference there is between masks. That said, you might find a mask that does allow you to bend and see downward a little further, but don't expect much up and to the sides.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom