Looking for a new mask w/purge...need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge valves are great!! For many reasons. And yes, they can leak. So can your Reg, your BC, etc........... Not a reason NOT to buy one. OHDIVER i have a scubapro mask with a purge valve, dont know if it has big enough eyes for you (HA HA) maybe you can check them out!!

QuoVadis:
Purge valves are great!! For many reasons. And yes, they can leak. So can your Reg, your BC, etc........... Not a reason NOT to buy one. OHDIVER i have a scubapro mask with a purge valve, dont know if it has big enough eyes for you (HA HA) maybe you can check them out!!

What many reasons are they great for?

Just curious.

I wanted a mask without a purge because I don't use it anyway, but the mask (after trying many) that fit me the best happened to be the Oceanmaster Z2 that comes with a purge. I have not had problems with the purge though -- I just clear my mask the normal way. I also wouldn't mind having one with a bit more range of vision -- hence my testing of many masks. But they all leaked more easily than the Oceanmaster.

For starters I like to be able to clear my air passage in my nose once in awhile. If a diver has both hands occupied (photographer, spear fishing etc.) they will be able to clear their mask. If a diver has concerns about clearing their mask normally (although they shouldnt) it may give them better piece of mind.............................

QuoVadis:
For starters I like to be able to clear my air passage in my nose once in awhile. If a diver has both hands occupied (photographer, spear fishing etc.) they will be able to clear their mask. If a diver has concerns about clearing their mask normally (although they shouldnt) it may give them better piece of mind.............................

The few purge valve masks I've used still pretty much required you to put pressure against the seal to direct the air through the purge valve.

I can't see the air choosing the valve as the path of least resistance without cranking the mask down on your face in which case it's a poor fit or there would be no reason to do so. Just my findings anyways.

I might suggest the ScubaPro Crystal Vu. Good fitting mask with a wide field of view. Comes with both purge and no purge. Your choice.

plcmd:
I might suggest the ScubaPro Crystal Vu. Good fitting mask with a wide field of view. Comes with both purge and no purge. Your choice.
I have this mask with a purge valve, but found it harder to pinch my nose to clear my ears because of the purge valve. I have since replaced it with the non-purge type .

Mitten Diver

Mitten Diver:
I have this mask with a purge valve, but found it harder to pinch my nose to clear my ears because of the purge valve. I have since replaced it with the non-purge type .

Mitten Diver
You are correct. It is harder to pinch the nose. I have the Scubapro crystal view w/purge and it is a good mask in my opinion.

d33ps1x:
The few purge valve masks I've used still pretty much required you to put pressure against the seal to direct the air through the purge valve.

I can't see the air choosing the valve as the path of least resistance without cranking the mask down on your face in which case it's a poor fit or there would be no reason to do so. Just my findings anyways.
I have only used the Scubapro crystal view and you do not need to touch the mask to purge. However, If my mask completely flooded i would use the mask clearing method. I havent tried to clear a full flooded mask with the purge but i will try and see how it works. (I was taught NOT to rely on the purge valve and i dont) to each his own i guess!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom