Looking for answers and recomendations for diving Lake Mead.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, myself and my fiance/dive buddy will be traveling to Las Vegas this February and are looking into options for diving Lake Mead. Is the shore diving good or should we be looking for a charter to do some boat dives. If boat diving is suggested can you point me to some good charter operators.

Thanks

I don't know if you've read about it but there's a major drought in the Southwest for the past decade or more. Lake Mead is at it's lowest level in history since it was first flooded afaik. Almost 100' down. So I would ask a local shop if you can even get to a shore dive now that's worth it without a jeep - Boulder Beach was a 20' dive you may see mentioned - this is the marina nearby now:

article-0-1FA2E94800000578-265_964x628.jpg

I don't know any shops in Vegas/Boulder currently to recommend - I'm not from there and haven't stayed current since the one time we planned to drift dive the Colorado river 4-5 years ago and checked on options in the area. But there certainly are some. Ask about Lake Mohave also - IDK if it's been as affected. At one time there was a scuba park there. Slightly farther drive south.

Last edited:
There is limited shore diving at Mead right now. Most will go to Kingman Wash.
Call some of the local shops, I'm not sure any commercial charters are available besides TDL. A shop employee may have a boat and some free time that may be willing to take you out.
Some great dives off a boat.
The B29 as Jim mentioned is insanely expensive and even at the current lake level requires higher level certs.

May consider driving to Mohave where more shore diving is available. The Dive Shack can hook you up with gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be worth checking lake Mohave just down stream a little. There is shore diving. Bullhead city isn't that far away.

Kelly Colwell is one of my buddies, and he's a GUE instructor / active technical diver that dives Lake Mead most every weekend. He runs Blue Gravity Scuba out of Nellis (Blue Gravity Scuba). Boat dives are available through Bill Bradley @ Desert Dog Diving (Desert Dog Diving - Where real adventure begins.). Either will take good care of you and can cover any conceivable need you may have.

I had a blast diving down there earlier this May.

Thanks for all the help! We do want to dive the B29, but her experience level is not quite there yet, adding it to the bucket list. We'll look at all the options though, Lake Mohave might be something to look into for sure.

Back
Top Bottom