Looking for information on Suunto Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are very happy with the Vypers we bought from LeisurePro. But before you buy one you might want to think about air intregration, which is included on the Cobra and Vytec. But of course they cost a lot more.

A different view: I have the Vyper and love it. I REALLY like the wrist mount and would not go back to a console integrated type computer. Being able to access the information about your dive with your hands cross in front of you is easy and comfortable for me. (used to dive a Cobra)

I've used the air integrated cobra for about 5 years and have had no problems. I bought it because it has a conservative algorithm. I like a console for my gauges, I was glad to get all that stuff off my wrists when consoles were first introduced.

I've been happy with the vyper since OW. I'd still buy it today if I was looking for a computer. Computer on the wrist gets looked at more frequently then a console.

First of all, don't let the posts concerning wrist mount-vs-console dive computers confuse you. The Suunto Vyper and Gekko can both be either console mounted or wrist mounted and neither mount affects the function of the units at all. The Vyper unit will do everything that a Suunto Cobra will except the air integration stuff. The Vytec and now the new D9 are also capable of more functionallity than the Vyper but could cost about triple what the Vyper does. Your original post doesn't say anything about the kind of diving you do but bear in mind that the Suunto Vyper will do everything that you will need for diving within recreational limits, except for the air integration, which becomes a matter of choice and affordability, but not limitation. As far as Suunto dive computers are concerned, their programed behavior is more conservative than most other dive computers (mostly meaning they are quicker to move into the "caution" range during a dive) and they have a proven track record for reliability as compared to some other well known brands.

Back
Top Bottom